Part 4: Spend your Life Reading Signs

It's safe to say, nothing went as it should; the video shoot was too short, the schools were complete havoc, the street gig was as pointless as the lads predicted and the club gig way over ran. It was nearly midnight by the time Nigel dropped Gary off at the small, dank studio that looked positively derelict at that time of night. Gary glanced at the other lads all curled up fast asleep, and wistfully sighed as the mini bus door slid open. Nigel was dropping the rest of them off at their prospective homes, were they could have a decent night sleep. Something Gary was not afforded. Gary stepped out the bus as quietly as he could, although in his mild bitterness he very nearly decided to slam the door shut. He of course, thought better of it, and instead slowly drew the door closed, but as he did a small voice stirred from the darkness at the back of the bus, "Oh Gaz – I'll give that thing at the studio a miss tonight", Robbie yawned, "I'm wiped!".

Gary didn't reply, just closed the door gently and started towards the dark building across the parking lot. He heard the engine of the bus, roar back into life behind him, and turned back in time to see it's rapidly retreating form fade from his eyes as it turned out at the top of the road, and off into the night. He heaved another sigh, this one much heavier than the last; he was real tired too. He knew Robbie would bail, and in fact he had counted on it – for he needed all the time to get that bloody B side finished, first.

*************************

"Now in the unemployment lines
You can spend your life reading signs
Waiting for your interview
They ruin the whole day for you..."

Gary winced, "Eh, good Rob – but the line is; they can shoot the whole day for you", he spoke through to the recording booth.

"What the fuck does that even mean?" Rob casually asked. He was standing behind a recording mic, alone in the recording booth, and speaking to Gary through an intercom. He was laying the vocals down while Gary was helping him through the lyrics of their next single from the mixing desk, back at the by now, very familiar studio. Gary loved this part – the recording and producing of new music – even covers! He honestly thought to himself, that if the band didn't take off, he'd be very happy to become a producer.

"Yeah, Rob - I don't know", Gary humoured the younger lad, "– but it's the lyrics, and we've got limited time here, so –", Gary tried to not-so gently hint.

"Yeah, yeah – well stop bloody interrupting then", Robbie merely grumbled.

Gary inwardly rolled his eyes.

...

"Now winter's gonna turn to spring
And you haven't accomplished a thing
So baby why can't...can't..."

"Whoops, wait", Robbie stumbled, "I'll get it this time –"

"So baby can't you....make me just a... just a... little time"
'Cause you're what's on my mind"

Robbie was struggling. Gary had given the lyrics to Robbie days ago. But whenever Gary enquired about learning the words, Robbie had been quite dismissive and said he'd get on to it. Gary suspected Robbie actually did get on to it at about 10pm last night.

Nigel Wright, the producer gave Gary a pointed side-wards glance, and Gary knew what the Producer was getting at but chose to ignore it, "Rob, Listen – "So baby can't you make me just a little time, 'Cause you never know what's on my mind", Gary melodiously sang the correct words through to Robbie. Robbie simply nodded a silent response, and returned to the beginning of the verse.