13 | State of Shock

Start from the beginning

"Is that your decision or Auntie Pam's?"

"Mine. Momma don't know I'm doin' it. She told me that I lied there so now I gotta raise it."

"The baby," Lina corrected harshly and Kearston glanced at her quizzically.

"What?"

"Not it, Kearston. A baby. What's growing inside you is a human being not a item."

"Well whatever," Kearston rolled her eyes. "The baby isn't going to exist after Friday morning."

"Did you actually think this shit through or you doin this so you ain't gotta have no responsibility?" Lina's consoling had come to an abrupt end and she was slowly becoming annoyed with Kearston; it was obvious on her face. I on the other hand, only wanted to support Kearston and regardless if I agreed with her decision or not I was going to be there.

"What the hell you talkin' 'bout, Lina?" Kearston looked up to Lina who was now standing.

"You just gon have an abortion and not think twice about it? Aunt Pam was right. You lied there and did it so it's yo fuckin responsibility. You gon kill an innocent soul?"

"Lina this ain't your goddamn body, so I don't know why you tryin' to preach to me. I know what I did and I don't need it rubbed in my face," Kearston jumped up too and I followed knowing I would have to play the mediator between the two of them. I wasn't enjoying what was close to happening. We all had just reconciled and things were slowly starting to go back to the way they used to be when I first moved here. I didn't want them to fight, because then it would only make things worse.

"Lina this isn't your child, okay?" I intervened as I stood between the both of them. "You can't get mad at Kearston for a decision she decided to make. It's her body and her baby and regardless of our beliefs we just need to support her. No matter what," I reminded her sternly, but Lina didn't want to hear any of that. She shook her head the entire time and started to back away. I just didn't understand why she was so passionate about Kearston keeping her baby. It had nothing to do with her.

"Lina always gettin in shit that don't concern her. Why can't you be more like Semaj and just support me and my fucking decision?!"

Kearston yelling caught the attention of the secretary in the office and she came out into the hallway.

"What are you three doing out here? Get to class!" She demanded and clapped her hands when we didn't move.

I jumped as I pulled Kearston back toward the lunchroom. Meanwhile Lina had waved us off and started going the other direction. I needed to be a comfort for Kearston right now and during our drama class I would have a chat with Lina.

---------------------------------

I never was able to catch up with Lina. She never showed up for class and even Tucker hadn't seen her since we left out of the lunchroom. I was getting a little antsy thinking about where she might've gone, but as I walked into the library to turn in a book I had rented I saw her sitting in one of large beanie bags staring out the window at the kids going down the hill to the track field for track practice. She must have heard me walking toward her, because she turned to look at me. Her eyes rolled and I could tell she wasn't happy to see me, but she would just have to deal with it. I pulled a wooden chair from one of the study tables and placed it next to her.

"You been here since lunch?" I asked and she nodded her head, never looking away from the window.

I pulled my backpack off my shoulders and reached inside the front pouch to retrieve the honeybun I purchased. When she heard the rustling of a wrapper she turned to look at me as I held the honeybun out to her. Hesitantly she took it as a small smile appeared on her face.