Chapter 3

Since, it was Thalia's last day at camp, her, Annabeth, Percy, and Grover got permission to have a day out in the city.  They took 2 Pegasi, Annabeth and Percy on one and Thalia and Grover on another.  The Pegasi dropped them off in Central Park and they took a taxi to Rockefeller Center. They had lunch at a little restaurant.  Percy asked the group, "Is it ok if I take Annabeth to the One World Center real quick?"

"Of course!" Thalia said with a wink.

"Ya, no problem," Grover said as he gave Percy a thumbs up. What did he mean by that?

Percy quickly hailed a taxi and they sped off towards the building.  Subconsciously, their hands were overlapping in the backseat.  I know what you're thinking, Ok Annabeth, this is your turn to make a move. Instead, she did the exact opposite, she immediately moved her hand out of the way and re-did her ponytail.  She glanced at Percy to see him glaring out the window, then it soon became awkward.  "So... what did you want to show me?" Annabeth questioned.

"I just thought you would appreciate the architecture."

"Aww Percy that's nice of you, but why didn't you invite the others?"

"I just thought that we haven't hung out just the two of us in a while."

"Oh."

They reached the monument and Percy asked, " Do you want to check out the memorials?"

"Sure."

They wandered over with their shoulders touching.  Annabeth and Percy leaned over with their hands over-lapping.  A tear traced its way down Annabeth's cheek and she sniffled to stop her runny nose.  She looked the other way to hide her face from Percy, Show no weakness, but Percy looked over and wrapped his arm around Annabeth.  Oh-my-gods-Percy-Jackson-just-wrapped-his-arma-round-me. Ok, be cool. Just lean into him. So that's what she did.  "It's just not fair..."

"Shhh...I know. It's terrible."

"I mean so many innocent people were killed."

They stood their in silence for at least 5 minutes.  Anyone passing by would have thought that they were each other's significant others.  But no, they were just best friends and one happened to have a crush on the other.  Or was it that they had crushes on each other and they were both too stupid to realize it?

They walked over to the main attraction, the infamous One World Trade Center. Annabeth's mouth hung open at the sight.  Percy gave her one good look and said, "Pretty amazing right?"

"No kidding."

They went to the top floor and looked over at the whole island of Manhattan.  Percy's eyes slowly drifted over to Annabeth.  Annabeth felt a pair of eyes on her and looked over and she found herself staring into Percy's sea-green eyes.  They gazed into each other's eyes but Annabeth broke the gaze by quickly excusing herself to use the restroom, which left Percy very disappointed and confused.  When Annabeth got back she and Percy went to meet up with the others for dinner in Central Park.  After, they went to the top of the Empire State Building.  Thalia pulled Annabeth and quietly asked, "Did you tell him yet?"

"Not yet!"

"You'll have to tell him sooner or later!"

"Well I choose later."

"Fine, but don't come crying to me when he starts to date some gorgeous Aphrodite girl."

"Well, I won't!"

"Hey Annabeth, come over here!!" Percy called and Thalia went back over to Grover.

Annabeth walked over to Percy and he said, " What was that over there with Thalia?

"Nothing, just an argument."

"If you say so..."

"Anyway, what did you call me over here for?"

"Well, I wanted to show you that," Percy pointed over to a brightly lit Times Square.

"It's beautiful!"

"Kind of like you," Percy stepped forward.

"Shut up!" Percy took another step.

"I'm serious," they were touching. Annabeth could feel his racing heartbeat.  Percy leaned in when Annabeth heard Grover call them over. Oh my fricking gods did Percy almost just kiss me??!! Nope, I must be hallucinating. Yep, that's it I'm hallucinating. Or it's just a dream. I'm hallucinating or this is just a very good, unrealistic dream.

They arrived back at camp and they said their goodbyes to Thalia as she went off to kick some monster booty.  Grover went back to the forest, which left Annabeth and Percy alone.  Percy's hand slipped into Annabeth's and they walked in a comfortable silence all the way back to Annabeth's cabin. At Annabeth's door, Percy shyly asked, " Do I get a good night kiss this time?" 

"Take me on another adventure in the city and we'll see then."

"I'm already planning out the whole day."

Annabeth laughed, "'Night Seaweed Brain."

"'Night Wise Girl."