Chapter 12: Birthday

Start from the beginning

All the boys were there too. Jayden had a smile on his face, but he rolled his eyes when he saw me. His smile turned into a strained and forced one, and I sat down next to him on the floor. Everyone else was on the couch, and our parents were off to the side, videotaping us.

They turned the lights off, and started singing happy birthday. It was my first birthday without my mom. She always used to stay home from work on that special day, and spend the whole day together.

"Happy Birthday dear Jayden and Evanna..." I felt Jayden tense at my name. I knew he was angry.  We blew out the cake, and our parents had huge grins. "Aw, my little boy is a teen now!"

Rose hugged Jayden as he rolled his eyes jokingly. "Congrats buddy!" Dad added.

"He's not a baby anymore!" Ethan joked, causing his brothers to laugh. Jayden turned red and glared at them. My dad hugged me and kissed my forehead.

"My little girl's growing up. I love you."

"I love you too, dad."

Rose also came and hugged me. "I got you a present!"

"Y-you didn't have to..."

Rose chuckled, "you're part of our family now!"

We started opening our presents. I had two, and Jayden had 3. Jayden opened his first. From my dad, he got a new watch. "Thanks!"

He opened Rose's, and it was a shirt. "Really Mom?" There was humor in his voice, though. "I love it."

Rose smiled, "I'm sorry. I could have gotten you a better one but I spent all my money..."

"On what?" Jayden asked.

"Evanna's welcome and birthday present."

"Oh," Jayden mumbled, avoiding my gaze.

Jayden started opening his presents that was from his brothers. He unwrapped the wrapping paper, and opened a box to see nothing. His face fell as he picked up a paper. "Have this box:)"

Jayden snapped his head up to his brothers who were laughing. Rose and Dad were trying not to laugh either. I covered my mouth with my hand, but few giggles escaped.

"Open yours!" Dad said.

I smiled and opened my present from my dad. It was Zombie King, the sequel to Zombie War. I grinned and hugged him. I've wanted this game since I was 11.

"She plays video games?" I heard Daniel mumble.

When I opened Rose's gift, it was a Kilsnan Laptop, and my eyes widened. These were like $10,000. My mouth hung open, speechless. So were the boys. I could feel them staring at my laptop.

"T-thank you," I stuttered, smiling.

"Wow, my gift seems like nothing compared to that...." my dad chuckled, and I said, "I love your gift too."

I hugged Rose and thanked her again. I ate a slice of cake, and brought my gifts upstairs. I was checking out my laptop, when Jayden came into my room.

"Give it," he sneered.

"W-what?" I stammered.

"Give the laptop to me. It's mine."

"No it's not."

Jayden rolled his eyes, and he walked closer to me. "My mom gave it. It's my birthday. She spent more on a stranger's gift than her own son. It's mine."

"No!"

Anger flared inside his eyes. "You're going to regret shouting at me."

He threw me off my chair and onto the floor. He pinned both of my hands on the ground with his, and put a knee on my stomach. "It's mine. You ruined my life. Everything you get is mine. Don't talk back. Don't fight. Got it?"

He put more weight into his knee making my stomach flare in pain. There was no way I could escape. I could have shouted, or tried to fight, but I couldn't. I was scared. "Y-yeah..."

Jayden smirked, satisfied. He got off me, and walked to the door, grabbing my laptop in the process.  "I'm going to make your life a living hell."