Chapter six: My buried secret

Sleep drags on my body relentlessly, my movements slow and languid. I slowly ease my way into the morning, knowing that I had zero sleep last night. That's pretty normal.

What isn't, however, is the fact that my neighbor nearly killed a stranger last night on the streets.

---

The morning sun beats down into the room, streaming through the shutters and--

BANG BANG BANG!

Ace begins furiously playing the drums, giving me a heart attack.

From my window, I can see his face, eyes closed, all scrunched up and concentrated on the right sounds.

How adorable.

"ACE! WILL YOU PIPE IT DOWN?" I yell, trying to project my voice over his obnoxious music.

His eyes open suddenly, his dark blue eyes gaging my reaction as he continues to play. A small smirk starts to spread on his face.

"Why, good morning to you too!"

I give him my best glare, to which he merely laughs.

The events from last night come crashing down on my head. Suddenly, I could relive each horrifying moment.

The repeated sounds of Ace's hand making contact with the stranger's body.

Ace's dangerous threats hanging in the still air.

That final, bloodcurdling scream, signaling defeat.

"You..." I start, and suddenly my voice sounds very small and tinny.

"You..." I start again, slowly backing away towards the door.

Ace raises an eyebrow at my speechless state, twirling his drumsticks expectantly.

I turn around, and sprint in the opposite direction, my heart beating a million times per second.

Who am I messing with?

Ace calls after me, but all I can hear is my heart beating loudly in my throat.

"Tess...Tess? What's wrong?"

There's more to this bad boy than I expected.

---

I race down the long hallway, sprinting down the spiral staircase.

Sometimes, I wish I didn't live in mansion; it takes forever just to travel across a hallway and down a flight of stairs.

My hands barely skim the mahogany railing, my feet sinking in the plush, sparkling-white steps of the staircase.

As I rush to the kitchen, my mind is buzzing.

I don't want to cross paths with Ace again.

My mind goes back to the stranger's gruesome face from last night, all bloody and disgusting.

Ace did that.

Ace.

Almost.

Killed.

Him.

---

Momma Shields (Also known as Robin) walks into the spacious kitchen, yawning. Out of her mouth comes an incoherent string of gibberish.

"What?!" I say in confusion.

Mom rubs her tired eyes, and finally speaks clearly.

"Have you seen Daddy around?"