Chapter nine: Dance

The blackness extends, cascading from my shoulders down past my knees. It looked like midnight, draped over my tan body. I glance at my reflection, smiling until I saw. . .

You perv! Get out of my room!"

Ace grins a malicious smile, and bites his lip. Damn.

He takes one glimpse at my dress and smirks. "Wow, is Tess actually wearing a piece of clothing that covers most of her body?" He says, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

I blush. Deeply. I catch my reflection in the mirror, seeing a girl with blonde hair tied in a bun that took hours to make, and a light dash of make up.

I didn't look like my usual self, sure...but I didn't always dress like a slut, did I? Or maybe I did. I tuck a few locks of blonde hair behind my ear, straightening out the dress. I brushed away at the imaginary dust on my dress, adjusting my dress in every which way to make sure I didn't look like a slut. Wait, what? I shoudn't care about some idiot boy's opinion of my dressing style!!! Gods, Shields, what is up with you?

"Stop staring at yourself, you're not Megan Fox. Get over yourself."

"Oh?" I say with a fake smile, "Then why were you staring at me in my dress creepily from your window?"

Ace smirks, at first. "That was because . . ." He didn't finish his sentence, and I can see the smirk dissapearing ever so slightly. A small smile spreads across my face.

"Ha!" I say triumphantly, jabbing him in his stone-hard chest.

Ace shrugs it off, a small blush splotching his cheeks. How adorable. Not.

I grab my purse and my form for the school dance, along with some cash. As I swing my Prada handbag over my shoulder, I feel a presence behind me.

"Why are you still here, stalker?"

"I wanted to make sure the lady left safely from her home," he says with fake sweetness.

"'Mmm, I'm good," I say with a flip of my hair, starting down the stairs. I heard a pair of footsteps mirroring mine, and I turn around, annoyed.

"Stop being so close to me!"

Ace gives me an evil little grin.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my waist, and he whipped me around to face him. My heart explodes in my chest, and I stare up at his blue eyes. Blue, blue eyes, like the sea.

"How's this?" He whispers, his cool breath tickling my ears. Suddenly I felt my body heat up gradually, realizing that his fingers were on mine, an arm resting around my waist. It was the closest we had been, and it was setting my body on fire. My heart was beating at the speed of a hummingbird's wings.

I shrug off his fingers, instantly regretting it.

This was bad. Very, very bad.

I hadn't felt this way with Damien. My heart has never thrummed so hard against my chest. I had never felt so many emotions at once; confusion, dizziness, surprise, and worst of all...enjoyment.

So, I relied on my only instinct to save me from this moment. My fingers came loose around my Prada bag, and it fell from my fingers. It waded through the air, landing on my plush carpet in a few seconds. I knelt down to pick it up, hiding my red cheeks. Why was I flushing? Why were my fingers shaking?

I forced a smirk on my face, and pushed past Ace.

"You coming?" I say, my voice slightly shaky. I cleared my throat. I slipped on a pair of beautiful creme colored high heels, trying my best to balance on them as I walked on the laminated wooden floor.

It takes a few moments for awestruck Ace to answer.

"I don't do dances."

"O-okay," I stammer.

I reach for the golden doorknob, noticing that Ace hadn't moved an inch. Why wasn't he leaving?

" Bye..." I say cautiously, pulling the door wide open. Finally, Ace sprints down the stairs, snapping out of his daze. He doesn't say a word, reaching for the door at the same time that I did. I held back as he slipped on his shoes, and stalked off.

The cold, evening air bit at my face like a thousand insects, and I shivered. His black hair stood out from the blazing sky, and I watched him as he walked towards the back door of his house and slipped, quietly, into his house. Strange.

The sky was still alive, still streaked with a light shade of blue, but steadily turning darker. It was time to leave for the dance. . .

As I slipped into my car, I covered my face with my hands, wondering what the hell had just happened. I couldn't say that Ace was my friend...he was much more. He quieted me down when I cried about my fighting parents. He stayed up late just to watch me fall asleep. He left late at night to escape his household. And he drinks. And fights. And spray-paints secretly in the middle of the night. Overall, he annoyed the hell out of me.

Sometimes, I wondered why I even talked to him. He was just my neighbor, after all. But, it felt like much more than that. It had been a few months since I met this horrible stranger, and already I felt better. I knew that he would wipe away my shameful tears away when my parents fought. I knew he would make sure I fell asleep, even if it was 4 AM in the morning.

I tried to bury everything about me, but somehow, it had managed to surface once more. But, I didn't feel vulnerable that he knew what as going on with me and my life. I felt stronger, some how. Stronger than I ever had, with Damien, or Lexi, or Jazz.

And I knew what made him so much different from the rest.

Secretly, Ace Blais cared for me. A lot.

~~~

Well, FINALLY!

I thought I owed it to you guys, so here it is :)

And she finally realizes that Ace DOES indeed care for her. But it will take a lot more than noticing to bring the truth out!

On to the dance!

BE PREPARED FOR DRAMA, READERS!

P.S. COVERS ARE WELCOME! JUST GO AHEAD AND SEND THEM, BABES!

(http://www.dressespro.com/images/dresses/DPPM034.jpg)