Part 21: Interogation

You woke up early in the morning. The previous night was terrible. Not because you slept on a single bed with 2 people, but because your body could not get into REM sleep. You kept replaying the events of the day over and over. It was not something that you had not done in your previous tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. This was something that had started recently. You replayed the events over and over in your head, thinking about why they came out the way they did. You lay still for most of the night for fear of waking Ela, who was effectively using you as a pillow and part of a bed. You hadn't heard anything about Zofia's condition before you went to sleep. You weren't sure if it was a good or bad thing though. You decide to put those thoughts to rest as they didn't serve any good. You look down at the green haired operator, lying on your chest. She was still sound asleep. There was no possible way of getting out of there, without waking her. You decide to check the time on your watch to see if you had to get up in order to be back for your shift on security. Your watch says that it's 7:30. "The hospital opens at 8:30, we better get moving." you think to yourself. You were told by your C.O. that Zofia would be moved to a local hospital to receive treatment.

You look down at Ela, not wanting to wake her up. She was drained emotionally and physically from yesterday, and because of this you wanted to let her sleep as long as possible. But you knew that you had to get her up. She would want to go and see Zofia. You slowly shake her, and kiss her on her forehead. It's enough to get her to let out a slight groan and make her eyes flutter. She opened her eyes and looked straight at you. "You feeling better?" you ask her quietly. She nods with a slight smile on her face. "I told you, you needed rest. But we have to get going to be at the hospital for when visitation starts." you tell her. You slowly wrestle your way from her grasp and get up off the single bed and head out to your tent. You get changed into your BDU and grab your glock and wait for Ela to get ready. As you stepped outside your tent, you felt the cool morning air fill your lungs, and you see the pink, still in the eastern sky from the sunrise. A little while later you and Ela head for the gate to the perimeter that the military had set up. You show you ID and the guard waves you through. You grab a taxi and were off to the hospital.

Unfortunately for you guys, It was rush hour. Everyone was trying to get to work on time, which led to a lot of congestion on the highways. The drive that was supposed to be 10 minutes, ended up being 40. You got to the hospital and pulled up to the ICU doors, where you and Ela dismounted, paid the cab driver and headed for the desk. There were very few people there as, visitation had just opened. You head up to the desk and ask the nurse about Zofia and what room she's in. "Unfortunately sir, she's still under right now. She needs to be kept alone for sometime before you can visit her." she informed you. "Are you sure that she's at least alright?" Ela asks concerned. "She's perfectly stable. It's just that her brachial artery had been torn when the bullet fragmented in her shoulder. She's lost a lot of blood and needs to stay under for some time to recover." she explained. "Is there anyway I can be with her today? I'm family." Ela asked quite desperate. "She might be able to be awoken this evening, but that's the doctor's call." she said. "Alright, I'll leave you my phone number call me when she wakes up." Ela said sternly. The nurse smiled and put the phone number into her computer. "Thank you." you say to her before leaving the desk. "She's in bad shape." Ela said to you on your way out. "She's stable Ela, she'll pull through." you say reassuring her. You could see that she was reflecting on the details that the nurse gave her about her sister's injuries. As she did this you could see more and more anger surfacing. "Didn't you capture the guy who did this?" she asks you, clenching her fists. "Yeah why?" you ask, noticing her anger building up in her tone. "I think I need to pay him a visit." She said. "I don't think that's a good idea." you say to her. "Why the hell not!" she snapped at you. You recoiled from the response, realizing that you had just stepped on a landmine. You had to be careful of what you said now, she was furious. "Ela you're not thinking straight, don't do anything you'll regret." you say to her. This doesn't calm her down though, she just turns to get away from you. This scared you though. Right now, your girlfriend was unstable, she wasn't thinking straight. You reached out and grabbed her wrist. You locked on tight, and stopped her advance away from you. She tried to pull away, but it was no use. You were much larger than she was. "Ela you need to listen to me right now." you said sternly to her. "You're not thinking straight. You need to cool it before you do something that could get you in a lot of trouble." you say to her. "I'm not trying to upset you. Believe me, I hate that guy's guts just as much you do, but we can't do what we want with him. There are rules we need to follow." you continue, looking her straight in the eyes. "I need you to promise me that you won't try to get to this guy." you add. Your small speech had seemed to defuse the situation. She started to calm down and promised you that she would stay away from the interrogations. " Thank you. I'm just trying to protect you." you say to her. She nodded her head and you to made your way back to the base.