Part 19: Relief

The alarm that woke you early the next morning, was something that sparked the most anger and frustration in you in quite some time. You had stayed up late, watching your rats to see if anything interesting happened. Of course nothing did. Dokkaebi continued some more testing on her logic bombs and Echo just read some online news about technology and business. He was also working on some hologram projector for someone, but it wasn't something that concerned you. You thought the white masks would have no use for some holograms. You had to get up early this morning. Your clock said it was 5:00. It was still pitch black outside your window. You and your team left for the U.S. today for your help with the relief efforts. The news was still quite bad. The number of dead was continually increasing. You, as far you knew, would be helping with security and distribution of supplies to people in need. After wishing your alarm would kill itself for a bit, you slowly broke Ela's grip on your body and went to take a shower. There would be no time for a fancy breakfast today. The cool water helped to wake you up and shake off that drunk feeling that came with sleep deprivation. You got dressed in your black BDU and set out to get some coffee. Ela was up and moving as well. She came in to take a shower after you and get herself ready for the day. As you entered the kitchen you opened up the pantry to grab the coffee grounds. You were quite displeased when you reached up and grabbed nothing but air. You were out of coffee grounds. "Fuck. This morning can't get any worse can it." you say to yourself. You headed back for the bedroom, where you needed to pack some more stuff up. You felt a slight headache coming on from the lack of caffeine in your body. You packed up your laptop, your book and some of your hazmat equipment. Ela came out of the bathroom with towel in her hair, a black GROM BDU top and her green yoga pants on. She must have seen you lying face down on the bed, wishing for death. "What's wrong?" she asked moving over to her bag. "No coffee." you mutter, pulling your head up before collapsing it back into the mattress. She laughed a bit at your pain before packing up the rest of her stuff. "We'll stop at the cafeteria and get some there." she said pulling your arm to get you out the door. You let out a groan and slowly got yourself up and followed her out.

The cafeteria was thankfully open. They had just made a fresh pot of coffee when you and Ela arrived. You were incredibly thankful the the cafeteria staff. The coffee was not great, but "Beggars can't be choosers." you think to yourself. You and Ela grab your coffee and head out for the landing pads. On the pads, Zofia and Doc were already waiting for the rest of you. The Nighthawk, was still and quiet. There were some ground maintenance crews checking out various red flags on the helicopter along with various parts of the powerful engines. You set your stuff down inside the helicopter and head over to chat with Doc. You notice the two sisters, have struck up a conversation. "Morning Doc." you say as you pat him on the back. "I would say good morning, but it doesn't look like you're having one." he said. "That much is true." you said with a laugh. "No coffee in the pantry this morning." you said to him. "Looks like you got a shit hand." he said. "You ever been to the states?" you ask. "Once or twice for medical training." he replied. "I assume that you'll be helping out the medics already there?" you say. "That's right." he said. "Six said that our orders might be changing at anytime though." he added. Just then you feel the wind pick up and hear a whine coming from behind you. The Nighthawk had started to spool up. You and Doc decide to end the conversation there and climb aboard with the Bosak sisters. Soon after, Dokkaebi and Echo arrived and you were off to the airport.

There was another C-130 tasked to take you, along with supplies from the British government to Massachusetts. You sat near the back with Ela and began to read some of your book. Zofia joined you two after take off. Ela sat with her head resting on your right shoulder, and Zofia sat to your left and just listened to you read. Doc, Echo and Dokkaebi all went off and did their own thing to keep themselves busy. About an hour into the flight, you notice that Ela has dozed off on your shoulder, you smile and place the bookmark inside the book and give her a kiss on her head. "You two are great together." Zofia said after your kiss. "She's never had anyone like this Y/N. She loves you more than anything." she added. "I assume that's what you two talk about in your native tongue then?" you say looking at Zofia with a smile. "Perhaps." she replied with a similar smile. "Just know Y/N, that if you break her heart, I will skin you like a fish." she said, chillingly calm. "Understood ma'am." you reply with a salute. "Did you get what I sent you?" you ask quietly. The engines were able to block out most of what you said. She gave you a slight nod. "Good. I assume that it's working correctly?" you asked. She responded with another nod. "How late did you stay up?" she asked you. "Well past midnight. I think it was about 1 am when I finally got to bed." you say to her rubbing your eyes. "I went to bed around 11. Did anything happen?" she asked. "Not a thing." you answer. "We'll keep watch." she said. "If you don't mind I think I'll join Ela and get some sleep. I have a feeling it's going to be a long day once we get there." you say. "Fair enough, I'll do the same." she added. You leaned your head back onto the metal bar of the military seat. It wasn't comfortable in any sense, but you were so tired that it made no difference. In a couple of minutes you were sound asleep.

You were awoken by Zofia shaking your arm. "We're landing soon." she said before leaving your side and heading to where she left her bag. Just then your head started to throb. You had a serious headache coming on. No doubt from sleeping with your head on a metal bar. You give Ela a kiss on her forehead. It's enough to wake her up as her eyelids slowly lift to reveal her blue eyes. She smiles at the sight of you. "Are we there already?" she asked. "I'm afraid so. We're landing soon." you say to her with a coy smile. You get up from the green military seats and join the others for a bit of conversation before landing. Upon landing you and your team were escorted by a U.S. corporal to some Humvees that would take you to the camp where you would be stationed the for the next few weeks.

The camp was close to the university. The toxicity levels near the base required everyone to wear hazmat gear. You place on your gas mask and do up a hood that was built into your BDU for such mesauses. You get some gloves and are able to seal off your body from the harsh outside environment. There were several white tents with red crosses painted on them indicating them as medical tents. The corporal had to take you through the tents to get to the C.O's office. What was inside those tents was something that would be burned into your mind for the rest of your life. There were women and children, struggling to breathe. The gasping for air was haunting. The fear in the eyes of some of the children. "No one deserves this kind of pain." you thought to yourself. You see some men moving people who didn't make it, to another tent. No doubt to be zipped up in body bags. There were rows and rows of hospital beds, with hundreds of doctors running around trying to help the people gasping for air and finding that their diaphram no longer worked. You look around at your team. You notice that they all have the same expression of horror on their faces. Doc is especially hard hit. He seems to be the one most affected by all this. He looks around the large white tent and spots a small child, alone, gasping for air. The child was small, probably around 7 or 8 by your guess.You watch Doc rush to his side to try to save him. He pulls out a syringe that no doubt counteracted the effects of the nerve agent, but he was too late. The child's pupils dilated and he slumped back into his bed. His pain was over. Doc collapsed and hung his head against the bed. You head over to him and place a hand on his shoulder. "There was nothing more you could do." you say to him. He just sits in silence as he reaches up and closes the kids eyelids. "Let's get to the briefing." you say picking him up. You stay with Doc for the walk to the C.O's tent. You got briefed on the situation. It was far worse than the news had reported. The U.S. military had done a good job of keeping the press out for now. There were at least twice as many dead as the news was reporting. People from the surrounding areas kept pouring into the tents. By the commander's best estimates, at least 500 are dead. This struck you all quite hard. It was hard even for the commander to tell your team this without getting choked up a bit. You all sat in silence for about a minute. The commander then assigned you to your posts for the rest of the day. You and Zofia were assigned to security, while Doc was tasked with helping in any way that he could, and the rest were tasked with essentially being nurses. You grab your Kriss Vector from your bag and head out with Zofia to cover a small part outside the tent that overlooked some of the vital systems that kept the medical tent up and running.

(We did it today guys! we hit 1000 views today! Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this story. I never expected that something I decided to make because I was bored would get so much attention. Thank you all so much for continuing to read thus far, and stay tuned, more chapters are in the works!)