Part 13: Return

The cops go through the normal procedure for ensuring that you two weren't a threat. They handcuffed you both and took you to a police cruiser while they checked your backgrounds. "I say after we get back, we take an actual vacation." you say leaning over to Ela. "That sounds like a great idea." she said looking up at you with a smile. She then rested her head on your shoulder, worn out from the events of last day or so. A police officer then pulled you two out and took the handcuffs off of you two. "Sorry, but you know procedure. Can't be too careful these days." he said. "No worries. Have our superiors contacted you yet?" you question to see if you could get a plane home. "Apparently there is a plane waiting for you two as we speak. I guess I should give you a lift, you don't seem in any condition to drive." he said as you breathed a sigh of relief. You two climb back into the cop car and head for the airport. It wasn't a long drive since it was quite early in the morning. 3:30 am according to the police clock. He let you out and you were then escorted to a C-130. To your surprise, they had managed to collect your belongings from the hotel room. You had your clothes and most importantly your laptop. Ela would have killed you if you lost your Pokemon game. The only thing that wasn't there, was your decryptor. Your eyes close as you realize that they must not have found it yet. That thing was incredibly dangerous in the hands of the white masks. All you could do was pray that they hadn't gotten away with it. Ela noticed the gloomy look on your face and came up and gave you a kiss followed by a hug. "What's wrong?" she asked. "I don't have the decryptor here." you said defeated. "The cops must have not found it yet." she said trying to calm you down, while she ran her fingers through your hair. "We can only hope. That thing in their hands can mean a lot of people are in danger." you say sitting down. Ela sits down next to you, comforting you. You two sat in silence as the plane taxied to the runway and took off for Heathrow. You two both decided to cuddle up and get some rest as you hadn't slept in over a day.

You were awakened by Ela shaking your arm, as you had landed back at Heathrow. You slowly get up, wishing for some more rest, and grab what is left of your things. You and Ela hop off the C-130 when the cargo ramps drop down and head for the UH-60 Nighthawk that was already spooled up, waiting to take you back to Hereford. You and Ela climb aboard and sit next to each other and enjoy the ride over. You almost fall asleep a couple of times on the ride, but Ela makes sure that you stay awake. You land back and Doc and some nurses are there to greet you. They have stretchers but you both don't need them. "You both look like shit." Doc said looking at both of you. "Well torture does that to you." you say jokingly. "Come on, let's get you two checked out." he said signalling for you to follow him. On the way over you lean to Ela and whisper to her. "Tell no one anything. The only person we can trust right now is Six." someone must have known about your operation. That means that there is an intel leak inside Rainbow. You go through Doc's examination and he finds that nothing is wrong with you accept your wound is quite aggravated from the intense fighting you did. Ela on the other hand, was much worse. She had some cracked ribs, along with fluid in her lungs from the waterboarding, something that would require some operating to fix. Doc was afraid that she could catch pneumonia. And she scheduled for the operation to be done the next day. "Six said that she wanted to see you two about what happened." Doc said as you were opening the door. "Thanks again Doc." you say waving your hand to him. You close the door and head down to Six's office with Ela holding your arm.

You approach Six's office and knock before entering. She looks up and gestures for you both to have a seat opposite her large desk. She put down some files after you two took your seats. "I'm sorry this had to happen to you two." she started. "But I need to know what you guys know." she said. "White masks have started production of chemical weapons." Ela said. "Is your phone off?" you ask. "Why?" she seemed annoyed at the question. "It's very important." you say with serious conviction in your eyes. Six must have seen how serious you were and she pulled out her phone and turned it off. "They have my decryptor in operational status." you said defeated. "I don't know if the local PD were able to recover it or if they got away with it, but they had access to it for some hours before we staged out escape." you went on to explain. "How did they get access to your computer." she asked, her face still cold and emotionless. "I had to give them key... to save Ela's life." you admit. "The local PD haven't reported anything like your decryptor being found, so it's safe to assume that they got away with it." she said looking right at your eyes. You just closed your eyes in regret. "I also have reason to believe that Rainbow is compromised." you said looking back up with seriousness. This got her attention, as she leaned forward in her chair, placing her hands on her desk. "I wasn't able to get the last message off to you, but I was able to identify the bugs as white masks, shortly before losing the decryptor. Someone had managed to break into our hotel room and bug it. I also spotted what I think was a surveillance van when Ela and I went to eat." you explained. "This means that someone knew of our operation and where we were." you added. "This combined with the loss of your decryptor puts us in bad spot. I'll have some IT guys get on upgrading our encryption and get some people I trust to look into this leak." she said. This time you saw a bit of worry cross her face. This was one of the first times that you saw any emotion from her. "Despite all of that, you two single handedly took out a serious white mask operations center. You two have earned some rest and recovery time." she said. "Thank you ma'am." you and Ela both said in unison. "Dismissed." she said going back to her files. You and Ela got out and quickly left the room to go and get some sleep.

You get back to your room and you immediately jump on the bed. Ela laughs and jumps on top of you. She lays on top of you for about five minutes when you finally pick her up and leave her on the bed to go and take a shower and change. As you feel the warm water flow down the back of your neck, you think about home. Never before in your career have you missed it so much. Maybe it was because you had something incredibly important to lose. You think about the forest and the pond out back and it just makes you more home sick. You turn off the water and change into your sleepwear. You then exit still with that upset look on your face. Ela is on her phone on the bed, when you exit the bathroom. "What's wrong?" she asked putting her arms around you, as you sat next to her in bed. "I was just thinking about home you know." you begin. "I've never felt homesick before. Maybe it's the stuff that's been happening, or maybe it's because I have so much to lose know." you say looking up at her. "That's so sweet." she said. "Hey, Six said that we have time off for now, why don't we go ask her if we can go visit your home." she said with a smile. "It'll be like that actual vacation we talked about in the police car. Just you and I." she added. "You're a smart woman." you said giving her a kiss. "How about we get some sleep first and then we go and talk to Six after." you suggested. "Alright." she said getting up to go and use the shower and change. While she was showering you slowly drifted off to sleep thinking about home.