Part 15: Home

Your flight touched down at about 6:30 local time. It was still light out but the sun was getting low in the sky. "Why don't we go and get something to eat. I know some good restaurants around here." you say to Ela with a smile. "Good, I'm starving." she said to you. "Nice thing about this place is that most of the stuff we can walk to." you add before grabbing your luggage and heading off the plane. You two head out for this nice steak house. It wasn't any place special, but it had some damn good food. You remember coming here throughout your childhood, and being back in the friendly atmosphere of the place, made you feel happy. You and Ela both had some delicious rib steaks, with mashed potatoes and gravy. This was the first time that you had a good square meal in about 2 days. You hadn't really had the time to prepare something like this for Ela back at Hereford. "You know the best places to eat Y/N" she said putting down her fork and knife. "This place might not be big, but the portions sure are." you said with a laugh. You paid for your meal, which was surprisingly cheap, and paid the waiter a good tip, before heading out to your parents house. You checked your watch as you walked down the streets and see that it is about 8:00 in the evening. The sun was starting to set as you neared the old brick house that was your home for so many years. As you approached you started to get a bit nervous about going in. Both your parents had pestered you before about finding a girl. Now that you were bringing Ela home, you wondered what they would think of her, and more importantly, what they would tell her about your childhood. That scared you more than anything. Your mother had a collection of embarrassing stories and pictures from your childhood that she told to anyone who would listen. You walked up the front steps and grabbed Ela's hand. "Did you tell them we're coming?" she asked as you two made it up to the cobblestone landing. "No, I wanted it to be a surprise." you said to her. "You look tense." she noticed. "Yeah well, you'll understand why in due course." you say to her. You take a deep breath and knock on the door.

A couple of seconds pass by and you hear footsteps approaching the door. "Here we go." you think to yourself. The door then opens, letting out the soft yellow lights that were on in the kitchen. Just like the first time you came home, your mother's eyes widened and she came over to give you a hug. "Why are you here again? I thought you were off on that assignment you didn't know about." she said to you. "I was, but Ela and I got 2 weeks of leave time for our contributions to the group." you say to her. She then glances over to Ela and smiles back at you. "Are you going to introduce me to your friend here?" she asked with her grin getting ever larger. You could already imagine the stories that she is pulling from the archives of her brain. "This is my...girlfriend... Ela Bosak." you said to her "Ela this is my mother." you say looking back at Ela. "A pleasure to meet you darling." she said pulling Ela in for a hug. Your mother was always quite friendly. "Well are we going to stand here all night? Come in." your mother waved, opening the door all the way. You and Ela entered the house and made your way to the kitchen, where your mother offered you some drinks. You decided not to have anything, but Ela accepted some of your mother's white wine that was out. "Hey, where's dad at?" you ask, thinking it's a bit late for fishing. "He's out back getting a fire started." she said to you. "I think I'll go pay him a visit. I'll come get you once the fire is up." you say, quickly leaving the women with each other. You're quite pleased that you were able to get away. Your mother telling stories was as unavoidable as gravity. You head out into the back yard and see your father chopping some logs up for some firewood. "Need some help old man." you shouted as you approached. "In your dreams sport." he said back, before you two embraced in a hug. "Back so soon, huh?" he said with a smile. "Yeah while I got some leave because of my contributions so far." you say. "I see, good to have ya back sport." he said slapping your back. "I also brought someone I met there." you start. You saw a big smile come across his face, similar to that of your mother's "You finally got one, sport. Nice job." he said to you with another smile. "That's why I got out of there. Mom is talking to her and that's never good for me." you say. "You know that she never forgets the things you wish to forget." he said with a laugh. "That's too real man." you said back with a laugh. "I'm going to go and get some kindling for the fire so we can get it started." you say, heading for the forest. It was about dusk at this time so there was still enough light to see what was where but not in incredible detail. You grabbed some small sticks off the ground and some dead grass, along with some birch bark from a fallen over birch tree. You head back for the campfire and you see your dad stacking the firewood near the firepit. "Let's get this show on the road." you say placing the stuff you collected in the firepit. You then placed the logs in a log cabin formation and ignited the dried grass and birch bark with a single match. You helped to kindle the fire with some gentle blowing into the centre, but before long the small twigs had ignited and the logs were starting to burn. You grabbed a chair and sat down next to your father and watched the fire together for a while. You were happy, just sitting and watching the fire. You felt as if you could sit and watch forever.

Your happiness was soon replaced with anxiety. You herd the two women approaching behind you. It wasn't their footsteps that alerted you to their presence. It was their hysterical laughter. "Oh shit" you say, looking to your father. "Good luck sport." he said with a smile before taking a sip of his beer. Ela sat down next to you and your mother next to Ela, most likely so they could continue their conversation. "What's so funny?" you ask, almost slapping yourself for asking as you already knew the answer. Ela looks over at you with tears in her eyes from all the laughing. "Your mom was just telling me about the time you broke your arm riding down the stairs in a laundry basket." she said, barely able to finish before bursting out laughing again. "Oh shit." you think to yourself again. This torture went on for what felt like was an eternity, but was only about 30 minutes by your watch's count. Your dad just smiled at your suffering, but didn't add anything, seeing the pain you were in. It had gotten dark in that time. You were lucky that it was a clear night. Because of the little civilization that was near your parents house, there was very little light pollution, and the stars and the centre of the galaxy shined like diamonds. It was one of the most beautiful things you could see. You felt Ela's head lay on your shoulder, as it had gotten quiet around the fire. "It's beautiful." she said looking up at the stars. "That it is." you said looking up and placing your arm around her. Your father asked Ela some basic questions and got to know her a bit better. He learned about her education and how the two of you met. It was a great evening. You all stay by the fire for what felt like days. Your parents decided to call it a night around 10:30. You said goodnight to them, but you stayed out by the fire with Ela. It was the happiest you had been in a long time. "Your parents are so nice." she said breaking the silence. "Yeah, I guess they are." you say to her. "Your mom sure has a lot of stories about you." she said with a smile. "Don't all mothers?" you ask her, getting a small chuckle. You two then share a very passionate kiss. "I love you Ela." you said with a smile. This was quite a leap for you. You weren't sure if she would go for it, but the timing seemed appropriate.  "I love you too." she replied with a smile. You two then shared another kiss, and sat by the fire. You checked your watch around midnight and broke the silence. "Let's go to bed. It's getting quite late." you say getting up to break some of the wood down that was in the fire. The pit was too far away from anything to be a hazard, so you left it to burn out, and carried Ela back inside, where you two slept together in your old room.