You peered at him from below your fingers. A bitter smirk was curling his thin lips. His face made your chest shrink.

The door cracked open and the doctor stepped in.

«Oh, you're both awake.» he observed «I'll take a look at your injuries, then.»

First, he unwrapped the Mohican's bandages to treat the wound. His leg was messed up, but nothing permanent, thankfully.

The pirate didn't complain for the whole time. However, he gasped loudly when your turn came and the doctor unbuttoned your shirt to auscultate your heart and breath.

«What the hell are you doing?!» he yelled, pulling the sheet above his head.

You lifted an eyebrow at him.

«Visiting my patients. Don't be such a baby. Have you never seen a woman before?»

«A woman yes, captain Kid's woman NO, and I like my eyes were they are, thanks.» he uttered from under the blanket.

Your fingers brushed the marks around your throat and you grimaced.

So much for Kid's woman. But I guess this one is on me.

The doctor glanced at you before focusing back on your parameters.

«Take it easy, girl.» he said «There's no such a thing as an easy relationship with our captain. And I suppose we could say the same for you.»

He placed a few pills and a glass of water on your nightstand.

«It will be painful, but try to swallow them. The bad news is that, between the intense bleeding and the shock, your body is worn out. Your muscles are rigid as hell and there's no energy left in you. You won't be able to eat anything today, so I'm setting up an IV.»

You nodded slowly, gesturing him to continue.

«The good news is that you won't be able to talk for at least the whole day.»

You eyebrows knitted together and he shrugged.

«Well, I never said it was good news for you.»

The Mohican laughed and you sharpened your eyes at both of them.

«Listen to me, girl. Stay here for today, try to rest and don't think too much about what happened.» the doctor said «I'll check on Wire and the others, then I'll be back.»

You slid back on your pillow and took a deep breath.

You felt like shit. Your body felt like shit. Your mind felt like shit.

And it was the kind of torment that made you restless, burning inside and outside, sore limbs with pins and needles, throat dry and hurting. As soon as you closed your eyes, all you could see were Kid's livid eyes, Thorin's grin and Aokiji's white back.

Hours passed with you snapping in and out of consciousness, usually waking up for the pain or some nightmare.

You didn't remember the doctor setting up the IV line, but you more or less remembered him saying that you had high fever and injecting something in your arm.

Your head was split in half.

A part of you wanted to jump down from that bed, and scream and cry, tearing the room apart in a tantrum of rage. The other part just wanted to lie there and sleep, maybe forever.

Then there was your numb body, which refused to move, but at the same time refused to let you some relief from the pain.

During the brief periods you were awake, you could hear the drunken yells of the pirates on the deck, accompanied by sounds of shattered bottles and delivered punches.