Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Instead he pulled the little writing pad from inside his glove compartment and used the idea of writing a letter to Egypt to take up time. He didn't really know how to do that-write a letter but he wrote all his immediate thoughts about Egypt.

He wrote about the boy going to school and about how he felt whenever he heard Egypt sing. He wrote about the feelings he felt when he held Egypt and kissed Egypt. God he loved the boy.

His cell began ringing in the passenger seat where he tossed it and when he answered it was Mason calling from Bethany's phone to tell him to get his ass to the pub. He glanced at his watch and noted the time-five in the evening already.

He stuffed the writing pad and pen back into the glove compartment and drove away from the bar back to his house to catch another shower and a change of clothes.

----

"You look good." Mason gave Joshua a once over and he rolled his eyes. He did make an effort. Soft black jeans and boots with a nice wine color button up he which he rolled the sleeves up and hair actually styled with a comb and not his fingers.

"I aim to please your majesty." Joshua pushed past Mason and took a seat next to Bethany.

"Hey pretty girl." Joshua smiled at Bethany and she smiled back.

"Hi Joshua." She leaned over and hugged him for a moment until Mason sat and pulled her to his side.

"No poaching brother." Mason growled and Joshua lifted a brow in Mason's direction.

"You do remember I am gay right?" Joshua asked and Mason shrugged.

"My girl is magic. She could turn you straight." Mason said and Joshua's jaw hung. Good God, Joshua thought, my brother is a fucking idiot.

"I'm not even." Joshua glanced up at the waiter that approached their table.

"I'll take a sprite and a glass of red wine for my lovely girlfriend. We'll eat when Egypt finishes his set." Mason smirked in Joshua's direction.

"I'll just have water." Joshua ordered and looked toward the little stage when the music stopped.

Joshua watched as Egypt took the stool and adjusted the microphones. Egypt began strumming and then his voice hit Joshua like a mac truck at full speed. The words fucked with Joshua. What the fuck is Egypt singing? Was Joshua's thought at that moment.

Goodbye spelled out like it had been rehearsed,

There ain't no point in trying to change your mind,

Seems like you've got it all figured out,

You're alright with the way this is going down,

Don't tell me we can still be friends hanging on the weekend you're gonna be okay if I start seeing somebody new, you hope that I do,

It won't be long till I forget to call every time that I'm drinking,

And you ain't the love song I can't keep from singing,

I gotta be honest if you really believe that's the truth,

You never loved me like I loved you.

Joshua listened to every word Egypt sung and he knew they were directed at him. Egypt's way of trying to understand why Joshua did what he did, said the things he said. Joshua's eyes prickled with tears but he couldn't do anything but listen to Egypt's heart break. Joshua vaguely heard Bethany say that Egypt was obsessed with the song by Brett Young. He'd Youtube it later he thought, mind flashing to some lyrics by the same country singer- a song called Pretend I Never Loved You.

Once he finished with the song that fisted Joshua's heart he did a lively cover of one of Joshua's favorite song, Broken Bones by Kaleo, the band Egypt introduced him to.

Egypt finished up his performance and Joshua dreaded seeing Egypt after and it was clear Egypt did not expect Joshua to be present for his last soirée before he went off to college.

"Joshua." Egypt said his name in a surprised and breathy voice that made Joshua's insides burn.

"Egypt." Joshua sounded just as breathy as Egypt. Under the colored lighting Joshua thought Egypt looked like an angel with a halo of unruly curls.

Their waiter broke their stare down and Mason cleared his throat feeling the awkwardness between his brother and Egypt.

They all ordered their food and Joshua remained silent only grunted here and there if part of their conversation was directed at him. Joshua wolfed down his burger and spent the entire time fighting off his craving for Egypt-to hell with alcohol.

"You called your cab as yet Egypt?" Mason asked and Joshua frowned.

"You don't have a car?" Joshua asked and all eyes were on him.

"No." Egypt blushed lightly. "I can't afford a car after paying off my year's tuition." Egypt added.

"Take mine." Joshua didn't know where the words came from but he wanted Egypt to have something from him.

"No! I can't possibly accept that." Egypt said and frowned hard at Joshua as if trying to figure out what the catch was.

"It's fine. I can easily buy another one." Joshua said coolly.

"Joshua no!" Egypt said adamantly.

"Please Egypt." Joshua begged with his eyes and his voice as he stared into Egypt's eyes.

"Okay. Egypt acceded. Joshua thanked his lucky stars.

"Okay." Mason stood. "Well we should call it a night. Egypt gotta get some rest for his drive tomorrow." Joshua stood and followed them outside.

Joshua stood by his car while Mason and Bethany said their good byes to Egypt who smiled and sniffled when he hugged Bethany and the girl did the same. You'd think the boy was going to war.

Egypt smiled tightly at Joshua when he approached and under the bright fluorescent lights Joshua could see the pain in Egypt's eyes. Joshua smiled back, happy. He was happy for Egypt.

"Here." Joshua handed him the keys. "The insurance is in there. Take care Egypt." Joshua moved to step past but Egypt grabbed his arm and pulled him down till their lips crashed together.

Joshua was afraid for a split second but he reminded himself that everything he did was for Egypt's happiness and so he kissed the boy back.

*******************************************************************

A/N

The song is Like I Loved You by Brett Young.