Chapter Eighteen

Egypt was on edge. He didn't feel like himself. Not since Joshua broke up with him on Saturday in front of everybody. Egypt felt nothing really. Nothing. No urge to sing or play his guitar. Jay remained locked in its case since and Egypt felt numb. Empty. Like when his mom died.

Egypt glared at his father who placed a bowl of cereal in front of him Sunday morning. Egypt glanced at it and scoffed. He stood and went straight for the door.

"Where are you going?" his father asked and Egypt scowled at the man.

"None of your business but since this is entirely your fault I'm going to the apartment to move my stuff back in since I'm homeless once more." Egypt didn't wait to hear his father's reply and stalked out of the house and held himself back from slamming the front door when he closed it.

"Hey Mason. I'm on my way." Egypt spoke into his cell and sighed when Mason replied that he'd pick him up.

"Hey." Mason didn't know what to say and neither did Egypt.

"So um..." Mason trailed off in an awkward way that never ever existed between Egypt and him.

"It's okay Mason. I'm okay. You don't need to be weird about me and Joshua breaking up." Egypt said and then suddenly his tears were falling down his cheeks nonstop.

"Oh Egypt." Mason pulled his car to the side and held Egypt through his pain.

Egypt was grateful for it. Mason was always there for him since he started working for the guy. Mason was like the big brother Egypt never had.

"It hurts Mason." Egypt sobbed and Mason just let him fall apart.

"Why would he break up with me like that?"

"I'm so sorry Egypt." Mason whispered. He couldn't say he knew the pain Egypt felt or what he was going through because to be quite honest Mason never let himself feel anything other than lust for a woman. Bethany was something else. Something else that Mason wanted to explore and she had a body he wanted to wander.

"It's not your fault. I don't understand Mason. We were so good together!" Egypt wiped his nose on the tissue Mason gave him and held his head between his hands.

"He's not what he said about himself. I don't care about any of that."

"I know Egypt but just give him some time. He'll come around. He likes you too much to stay away from you." Mason said and Egypt turned wide hopeful eyes to him.

"You really think so?" Egypt whispered the question as if he spoke any louder his words would become a joke.

"Yea. Text him after we leave court tomorrow. Keep texting him and besides that you'll see him every day at work." Mason believed his own words. It'll take a fool to doubt that Joshua had fallen head over heels in love with Egypt.

"I don't know. He seemed real adamant that we break up." Egypt said between hiccups and Mason grabbed the boy by his shoulders. Mason knew Egypt and this docile, unsure, crying little twerp was not him.

"Pull yourself together Egypt. If you want to be with Joshua then you have to fight for him. You have to make sure he knows he belongs to you despite whatever he may think in his big head." Mason said and Egypt cracked a smile.

"You're right. He's worth my fight." Egypt dried his eyes and then they were heading to the apartment Egypt once shared with Joshua.

Mason helped Egypt lug everything he came there with down to his car. Egypt looked like a kicked baby bear. Pouting and red eyed by the time Mason came back up the stairs.