6) Paint it red

Vera winced as Matt sat up abruptly all of sudden. His breathing had been so even she had thought he had fallen asleep. Apparently not. She rolled away uselessly, not less fascinated by the fact she wasn't falling through the bed or the floor. Being ghost was weird.

Matt slid the bedroom door open and the brothers with Jack looked at him almost guiltily. Vera would bet they-

"We... have an approximate location," Dean admitted with an innocent smile. Yep, that was what she thought.

Maybe they wanted to keep Matt out of it, which was something Vera would appreciate greatly. But her and them, they had no such luck. He had ears like a bat.

As they announced him the news, Vera could see a dangerous gleam in his eyes; so different from the glassy tears she had seen hours ago. It was a mean spark of determination. Vengeful. Blood-thirsty. She gulped at the sight.

"I don't like this," she stated uselessly.

"Me neither," Jack agreed, watching Matt with anxious eyes. "This is one of the things I was afraid of."

"Where?" Matt demanded flatly.

"About the border with Upper Westside Manhattan. It's a bit weird for djinns to... focus on wider area. But this is the best we could do," Sam explained

Matt just nodded in acknowledgement, walking to the under-stairs storage room, pulling his Daredevil box out. To Vera's surprise, he neglected the armour; he went for his old suit, the black one. It confused the hell out of her and she wordlessly searched for answers with Jack. But Matt's father just shook his head, clueless as much as her.

Matt didn't bother leaving to his bedroom to change, doing it as the Winchesters packed up their stuff. Vera watched them rather than Matt – it felt strange to eye up Matt with other people in the room and one ghost actually seeing her doing it. She witnessed a wordless conversation between the brothers, unable to read them beside the fact they didn't like Matt coming with them. That she definitely agreed with.

"I'll follow on the rooftops," was all what Matt said, his voice informative, flat again. It was in a stark and painful contrast to his speech to her. It twisted her insides unpleasantly.

"How do I keep up with him on the rooftops?" Vera asked, horrified.

"It takes a lot of focus. You could come with the hunters. It's easier to stay in the car than moving across distances."

Vera didn't find the solution ideal, but accepted it, watching Matt and Jack disappear through the rooftop access of the apartment. Well. Shit.

"I really don't like this, Sammy. We should go alone."

Vera eyed Dean in silent agreement, tailing them as they left the apartment as well.

---

It might have looked like they went alone, but they had one more passenger on their backseat – not falling out of the car to Vera's relief – and when arriving to their first tipped location in a shape of an old ruin-ish warehouse, it turned out they had two more stalkers.

It wasn't the right building.

Neither was the second one.

Or the third one.

"Are you sure this is the right area, Sam?" Dean questioned grumpily after they left another building with their hands empty.

Sam shot him an offended look, snarking right back at him. "Yeah, Dean. Based on the info we have – hunting area, living in ruins, at least a bit isolated, yes."