Chapter 8 - Aelin

Please leave any comments or tips.

Well that plan failed. Aelin nearly laughed. It had been weeks ago that she said she was going to escape today but unconsciousness strikes at different times and her body had sent her into a healing sleep for days. She supposed she had needed it, now she was in better condition for the escape and had a better chance of surviving. No guards not even Cairn had come to visit her, they assumed her dead and broken so much that they didn't even bother to give her food anymore. They hadn't even put her back into her coffin, just left her hanging in the middle of the room iron chains connected to each limb the other end secured deeply into the wall. Aelin did laugh then, this would only make it so much easier to escape. This would be the last mistake Meave made!

And so Aelin began her escape.

Slowly, Aelin rotated her hands around drawing fresh blood as they rubbed against the chains; a hiss escaped her lips. Aelin shut her eyes drawing her flames up from the well within her and gradually let the heat rise up to her hands. She heard and felt the blood that ran down her wrists sizzle with the heat her palms created. Then a new drip raced down her wrist; molten metal. It was so hard and so slow but eventually her right hand was free of iron. Aelin sighed it felt like a massive weight had been taken off her shoulders. Soon her other hand and legs were free. Collapsing to the floor Aelin sobbed in relief. She would allow herself this moment of weakness and then she would be strong. Silent tears ran down her face as she stumbled back to her feat; her hand quickly coming to her face to wipe them away. Then she approached the door. This massive iron door that had kept her locked up in here for all these months but for no more. A sudden rush of Adrenalin and suddenly flames engulfed the door turning it to liquid. Aelins power flooded her insides burning off the dried dirt and blood that had become a layer to her skin, turning her eyes to flames and her hair to a living wildfire. Stepping over the line of molten iron, Aelin took a deep breath in. She was Aelin Ashryver Galathynius Whitethorn and she was free. Hackling a menacing laugh Aelin began her journey to the throne room, to kill Meave or die trying.

No guards passed her and Aelin was thankful under her powers control she didn't think she had enough energy to not kill innocent people. They may work for Meave but they were only following orders; not a death sentence. The throne room was approaching fast and Aelin turned on that insufferable swagger as she slammed open the double doors. Cocking a grin she took in the image of Meave sat startled on her throne, a grinning Fenrys and his silent brother in front of her. Cairn positioned next to Meave on her left. "Hello Aunt," Aelin snarled and before Meave could respond Aelin exploded.

She was power
She was moonfire
She was flame
She was the heir of ash and fire and she would bow to no one.

Her flame engulfed everything, the sound of screaming rang in her ears. She blocked it out. This fire was only for Meave and Cairn, for what they took from her. She could see someone approaching her from the tornado of red but she was too deep in her powers hand to care who it was. Still she burned deeper and deeper into herself ridding the world of any last ounce of Meave or Cairn. Never again would they hurt anyone, never again would they hurt her or her court. Never again!

Suddenly, hands were upon her and a mouth near her ear.
"You can let go now, they're gone. They're gone they can't hurt you. They're gone." Fenrys. It was Fenrys trying to stop her from killing herself.
"They're ...." another voice interrupted Fenrys.
"Aelin listen to me!" Lorcan? She couldn't tell she was too far deep to ever come back.
"Rowan believes you're in Doranelle" Rowan, she recognised that name.
"Rowan, your mate, is heading into a trap. We need to go now!" Mate. Mate. Rowan. Suddenly it all came back to her, how could she have forgotten Rowan!?

She collapsed and strong arms caught her and as quickly as her power had exploded out of her it shot back into her. The sudden rush had Aelin feeling week and exhausted but if Lorcan was telling the truth.... they needed to get to Rowan.
"Rowan" was all she could mutter before the darkness took over and the lights went out.

Just a short chapter for this one because I'm going to be writing the rescue from different points of views.

I feel like the more chapters I write the worse they get 🤦‍♀️so please leave comments and tips.

850 words

I really hoped you liked it.