Chapter 4 - Rowan

Sorry this is going to be a bit of a filler chapter so I can get on with writing Aelin's rescue/escape!

Please leave any comments or tips. :)

Rowans wings ached. He hadn't flown this fast since his daring rescue in Rifthold but every minuet he was away from Aelin was another minuet she was stuck in Cairn's hands. His hawk let out a shriek of disgust at that thought. He'd already made up his mind on the decision about the Wyrd keys, already formed a plan on his flight here; now all he needed was for Aedion and Lysandra to agree with him.

The snow covered mountains came into view and Rowan controlled the wind to propel him to the palace faster. He saw her on the balcony and nearly fell out of the sky. Her hair shimmered in the evening sun, her eyes an enchanting turquoise with a glistening golden circle surrounding each pupil. But that was not Aelin, no it was Lysandra. He wouldn't let his emotions get in the way of what he came to do. In a flash of light Rowan shifted and landed next to her.
"I need to talk to you and Aedion." Rowan demanded as he looked away from Lysandra, from her face.
"Of course." She replied asking no questions "let me go get him." And Rowan watched as she ran back inside the ball room. His heart breaking at the swagger Lysandra has mastered.
Rowan gazed out across the peaceful garden, the weight of what he was about to do lay heavily on his shoulders but he had to do it, for Aelin, for his mate.

Rowan saw Aedion marching over and instantly recognised that he was still angry at the world, at Aelin, at Lysandra. Aedion didn't hesitate, as soon as he was close enough to be heared by Rowan but not for others to hear him "Where is she?" He asked storming up to Rowan.
"Doranelle." Rowan replied bluntly. Flashes of those pictures of the iron spiked whip flew through his mind. His Fireheart trapped in the dark.
"Wh..." Aedion began to say. Rowan notices the look in his eyes the questions and accusations Aedion was about to through at him. Rowan braved himself, ready for the harsh words that he deserved.
"Aedion, let him explain." Lysandra interrupted.
Rowan continued, grateful that Lysandra has interrupted, because although he deserved the words Aedion was about to throw at him, Rowan didn't know if he could hear them without breaking apart both inside and out. "We were on our way when we were interrupted by a message from Fenrys, i flew straight here whilst the others continue to sail to Doranelle; I'll meet them there with our decision." Rowan took a deep breath "If we give Meave the keys she'll give us Aelin." a pregnant pause filled the air as Lysandra and Aedion contemplated what they just heard.
Lysandra spoke first "Meave didn't say whether she'd give us Aelin alive, it's most likely a trap, we can't....Aelin wouldn't want us too."
"Oh and you know what Aelin would want because you're supposedly her now?" Aedion began.
"Aedion no I ... I just think that it wouldn't be clever because ...."
"Stop Aelin, we need Aelin more than the keys. We have to give them to her trap or no trap."
"But ...."
"I agree." Rowan added "we need her."
"Your both making a grave mistake!" Lysandraelin warned them and Rowan knew it was true but he didn't know how much longer he would last without his mate
"I understand how you both feel, I do, because I feel it too every damm day but we can't do this, handing Meave the keys would be the end for us. No light could ever outshine the amount of darkness Meave would bring." Lysandra said, her eyes glistening with the beginning of tears.
"We need her." Was all Rowan and Aedion said in unison.

"Manon secured the keys here before she left." Aedion said as they walked along a narrow corridor that kept heading downwards, deeper into the ground. Rowan merely nodded in response the weight of what they were doing crushing him, would she ever look at him again when she found out what they'd done? It didn't matter, what mattered is that she would be alive, alive and safe.

"Here we are!" Aedion exclaimed. Rowan looked around, a dead end. Aedion noticed Rowan's confused look and headed towards the left wall where he pressed into a rock. It clicked, triggering a door to open in response.
"This is where Terrasen keeps all its treasure." Aedion explain walking deeper into the chamber. With his keen eye sight Rowan quickly spotted the Amulet of Orynth and also the obsidian stone that Elide had brought into their possession. Both wyrd stones enclosed in one room. Quickly, Rowan carefully picked each up pushing his magic back as he did so, he didn't want to trigger anything.
"Let's go." He muttered wanting to get back to his ship, to his mate as soon as possible.

Once they got back to the balcony Rowan went to shift. "Wait," Aedion called grabbing Rowans arm. Rowan turned around waiting for Aedion to continue with an excuse as to why he cannot go find his mate and his cousin.
"I ... I just. Have a plan okay." Aedion stated as he began to pace the length of the balcony. "Don't give Meave the keys if you can get Aelin out without them." Aedion stopped pacing a looked up at Rowan. Rowan saw in his eyes that he wanted to come, wanted to help save his cousin but he couldn't he was needed here.
"I'll bring her back, don't worry." Was all Rowan said before he shifted and flew of towards Aelin, towards hope.

Within hours Rowan had reached the ship, he had flown his fastest and had controlled the wind to propel him even faster. He landed elegantly on the deck. Gavriel looked over at him, "you got them?" Rowan nodded and Lorcan growled.
"We make a plan tomorrow" Rowan said as he walked towards his room. Tomorrow, tomorrow he would tell them his plan but right now he was exhausted and his magic was drained from his journey. He needed to rest and replenish his magic so that he could save Aelin.
"Fireheart, I'm coming." Rowan muttered down the bond before darkness dragged him into a deep sleep.

Sorry for the lack of action, the next chapter will hold more, I promise.

Please leave comments and ideas, it would mean a lot to me.

1000 words.