Chapter 11 - Dragon Decedents

Tristan woke up and stretched his arms. He looked over to his cat sleeping in the corner of the room. Thunder was a black cat with bristle hair that stood up on his back. He had sharp claws and bright green eyes. He purred and jumped up to sit on the end of his bed. Tristan has been searching for that possible dragon he saw for two months now as so did everyone else.

"Back to prison eh, Thunder?" He said sarcastically referring to school. He got up and dressed. He walked through the Forrest which was now a bright orange colour. It was autumn his favourite season of the year. Mostly because he just loves the colour but also because there is something in the air he adores. Alice walked up from behind him and said hi.

"Ahh, oh you scared me." He said smiling. Tristan has grown fond of her over the months. He just never had the courage to tell her.

"Pretty today isn't it?"

"Yeah, I guess." He responded awkwardly.

"I'm sorry I'm no good at small talk. To be honest I hate it."

"True. There isn't really much point to it." He giggled and she smiled.

"Come across that 'dragon' of yours?" She laughed nudging him in the arm. The rest of the group have given up looking. They knew for sure there were dragons in the past but they don't believe there to be any now. After a month of searching the deal was called off because they decided they weren't going to find one. They were just glad they have the history.

"Not yet." He replied.

"Let's just look to surviving the day at school shall we?"

"Probably the best." Tristan agreed.

The school day was over. The seven hours of hell finished. Tristan walked through the forest just letting thoughts cross his mind. His day dream ended when he walked into a wall.

"Ouch!" He looked up to see a bunch of vines covering a stone wall. He brushed the vines aside to revile what looked like a carved door. In the centre was a small key hole. He took a closer look at the carvings to see they were all of dragons. "No way!" He jumped excited. He thought to himself that Alice's key must open it too. He ran to her house and knocked on the door. The door opened where a blue and yellow parrot flew out nearly knocking him down. "Woah!" He ducked moving out of the way.

"Sorry about that. STORM GET BACK HERE NOW!" She called her bird over. As Tristan stood up he ducked again quickly as it flew above him landing on her shoulder. "So what's up?"

"I found something you have to see. And bring the key!" Alice ran upstairs and grabbed the key. She then came out with her bird close behind. They walked into the woods where he showed her the door.

"Wow, this is new."

"I think your key can open it. It opened the book right? So give is a shot." He said showing her the key hole. She took the key off from around her neck and went to place it in the key hole. It fit. She turned it.... But it didn't turn. She tried again but still nothing. The door would not open with this key. Tristan took a closer look at the symbols. They were the symbols of six different dragons. The Night Fury, Nadder, Monstrous Nightmare, Gronckle, Zippleback and Stormcutter. In the centre of each one there was a footprint carved out. Storm flew towards the door above Alice and Tristan and placed her claw in the centre of the Nadder carving grabbing a bug and eating it. The Nadder carving moved back slightly.

"Did you see that!" Alice said looking at the door. Tristan walked away. "Where you going?"

"To take a look from further away." He responded. He climbed a tree and looked down at the door. "Unbelievable." He said to himself.

"What was that?" She asked wondering what he said.

"The door, it's a giant key. The whole thing is a key hole!" He yelled to her below. He climbed down to her and explained what he saw. Tristan walked over to the door and pointed to the Nadder. "See the small print there, it's the exact shape of a parrots foot. That means your parrot, Storm. When your bird went up to grab the bug on the side of the door it's claw placed itself in the carved out print. That made the carving move back. It's part of the key! In order to open the door certain animals have to place their foot prints in the centre of each carving. When all the carvings have been opened maybe the key will work!" He exclaimed with joy.

"Wow, what an observation. How do you know for sure?" She asked.

"I'll prove it to you. Follow me." He said running back to his house. He went inside and up to his room. "Ok where are you, you useless fur ball? Ha! Gotcha!" He grabbed the cat sitting on the window seal. "See his paw. I bet it will open one of the carvings."

"Whatever you say." Alice said doubting. They went back to the door and Tristan looked at each of the carvings. He looked closely to the Night Furies which had a print of a paw in the centre. He placed Thunders paw in the print and the carving moved back.

"YES! My theory worked! They must be the descendants from the dragons. Different types of animals must have formed from the dragons. Now we just have to find the rest of the animals!" He shouted with happiness.

"We need to find the rest of the gang. They will know!" Alice said walking towards their houses. Tristan quickly pulled her back.

"Wait let's find out what the animals are first." They looked at the Gronckle.

"Well that one has to be a frog I mean what other animal has a foot like that?" Alice observed.

"Who has a frog?"

"Well Harry does. It's like his 'best friend' or something." She answered.

"Perfect! What about the Nighmare?" Tristan asked.

"Maybe an alligator?" She responded.

"You have got to be kidding me!" He shivered thinking about his short life ahead of him if he had to find a creature like that.

"Well what about a lizard then?" She suggested.

"What lizard has a foot that big?"

"Well James has a lizard that big. I'm not sure what kind but he found it and now it's his pet." Alice thought.

"As long as it's not going to eat me then I'm happy to try that. What about the Zippleback?"

"Wait, it doesn't have a footprint." Alice observed.

"Oh no, I bet it's a snake. It just has a line." Tristan feared.

"Oh that's easy then. The twins have one."

"They have a snake!" Tristan looked at her with wide eyes. Alice just shook her head and looked to the last symbol.

"What about the Stormcutter?" She asked.

"Try your parrot. The print is shaped like the Nadders too." Tristan suggested.

"STORM!" She called her over and it sat on Alice's shoulder. Alice pointed to the carving and the bird flew up and placed its claw in the carving but it didn't move.

"I guess it's a different type of bird than." He wondered.

"Let's not worry about it now. Let's just get the gang together with their animals." Alice started walking towards Harry's house.