Chapter Sixteen ~ Kimber's Men

Chapter Sixteen
Kimber's Men

"You're an idiot""And you're a blinder"

"You're an idiot"
"And you're a blinder"

          Freddie sat trembling in the darkness, the only light streaming in through the bars. His body was battered and bruised and weak and he knew what was coming. He was going to die. He would never see his son again, his wife or his sister. He shook at the thought. He promised to protect - he promised! And now he had failed. Warm tears fell down his cold cheeks.

          His head rested on the thin mattress on the floor, his body curled up into a ball. He was going to die. When - he didn't know.

          The sound of footsteps approaching made him tense in fear. "Please, please, please," he begged. He didn't want to die - he had to see his family one last time. He didn't want to die.

          When the keys jangled outside his door, he closed his eyes. He was going to die. Quickly, he lifted his head off the floor, his eyes wide as he stared at the door, pushing himself into the corner. A young policeman entered the room. There was something about his face that he recognised, as if he'd seen him around somewhere. His mind was too exhausted and terrified to think too much into it. His breathing quickened as the man shut the door.

          "Alright, Freddie," he said, "time to go."

          "I want you to get a message to Campbell," said Freddie as strongly as he could. He clenched his eyes shut, shaking his head, tears falling down his cheeks. "I can't let them move me to Brixton." He looked up at the young officer. "If I get to Brixton, they'll kill me."

          The officer stepped closer to him. "Freddie," he said. "You're not gonna get as far as Brixton prison."

          Freddie heart stopped. He wasn't going to die later - he was going to die now. He wasn't going to see his family again. He'd failed them. He'd never get to hold his baby boy in his arms another time, he'd never see Ada's face light up when she smiled... he was never going to walk his sister down the isle or see her happy or be there when she was sad. They'd already lost their parents, he was her brother. After him, Maxim was all she would have left...

          "On your feet," the officer ordered.

          Freddie shook his head, but couldn't speak. The officer grabbed his arms, harshly pulling him up. Freddie's eyes were wide as he was pushed out of his cell for the first time in - he didn't even know how long it had been. He cringed away from the sharp light that hit his eyes when he exited the building. He was almost grateful when he was forced into the back of a motor as it was darker. The officer stayed in the back with him, another one in the front, driving.