Rebels' Headquarters

Chapter 16

Nov 21 2163

Jacob Grey

Location: County 4

The main headquarters is underground. That’s quite clever, considering most of the government checkups don’t even consider a gigantic underground hangout.

                I’ve always been taught that the Rebels were terrible – one of the main enemies of the nation. Never would I have thought that I would end up here, trying to meet them, nonetheless ask for a favor from them.

                They’re her only hope.

                The door standing in front of me is not much of a door. It’s just a slab of stone, with a symbol engraved in the top right corner. If you don’t look for it, you would never see it, since it’s only visible in the correct lighting.

                I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do to enter the place, so I close my hand into a fist and lift it up to the rock, ready to knock. Nothing sounds – no echo or anything.

                Suspicious, I search the area for some button, some lever, anything. However, I can’t find anything. I’m ready to just blast my way in, but before I can, I catch a silhouette flying down toward me. I take cover behind some tree, pulling my gun close to me, paranoid.

                When I point and aim, I find Adi on the other side of my gun. I lower it, confused.

                “What are-?”

                “You need to get out of here!” She orders, her words coming out in pants. Did she really run the entire way down here in such little time?

                “What are you doing here?” I re-ask, ignoring her statement.

                “You don’t get it. You shouldn’t be here.”

                Stubbornly, I stand my ground. Why can’t she see that I’m trying to save her?

                “I want to be here.”

                She shakes her head in conspicuous disapproval. “The Rebels are going to kill you,” She whispers, scanning the place for anyone.

                “What are you talking about?” I know that the Rebels are completely against the government, but this is kind of extreme.

                “They aren’t just some anti-government group,” She explains quietly. What? Then what are they? “They’re serious about starting a civil war. They’ll probably succeed, too.”

                “No,” I insist. The government won’t let that happen. Our nation hasn’t been at war for nearly a century. There’s no way they’re actually going to let a giant war like that break out.

                “Do you know why they haven’t succeeded thus far?” She asks quickly. I shake my head. “It’s because I break their plans. And before me, my father foiled their plans.”

                “That’s not possible.” There’s no way that this girl – no matter how clever she is – can single-handedly stop a brewing battle.

                “Do you know what they’re trying to do?”

                I nod in response, “They’re attempting to change the nation, right? They want to make it better. And I kind of agree with them, Adi. This place shouldn’t exist like this.”