Ch.9- A New Assistant

"It's definitely broken."

Jirou positioned herself on the small bench, watching with a slightly entertained smile at the blond who was struggling desperately to make the newest part of his hero attire function properly once more.

"No! No! L-look!" Kaminari waved his hands, attempting to prove his classmate wrong. "I think I got it! I just had to reattach the do-hickey to this wire thing and now the light is yellow again!"

He held up his shooter, a few stray wires still coming out and the metal that was once sleek, clean, and stable now cracked, spilling its wired insides and slightly sparking. Kaminari flashed an uncertain smile to the girl with the headphones, seeing her back away slowly as he held the malfunctioning equipment further.

"Kaminari... that doesn't look fixed..."

The electric hero-in-training shook his head fast, turning and pointing to the passing red-haired classmate who had just gotten out of the changing room. Kaminari tugged Kirishima towards him and continued his conversation with Jirou.

"I'll prove to you I fixed it!" He turned to address Kirishima, who was looking a bit confused as to what was happening. "Mind if I shoot ya with one of my pointers?"

Kirishima shrugged but quickly paused when he saw the state of his friend's personally made and tailored equipment. Kirishima turned his face to Kaminari, the redhead's matching red eyes wide and concerned.

"What happened to your shooter?"

"Uhhh...."

Kaminari turned to look at the side, no longer feeling the bravery to look at Kirishima or Jirou in the eyes any longer. Truthfully, he knew exactly what happened to his shooter, but he didn't really want to say why it was in shambles.

"Just tell us Kaminari-" Jirou spoke, then muttered under her breath. "-it's not like anything you did will make you a bigger idiot than you already are."

"I heard that, Jirou!"

Kaminari pointed an accusing finger at her, stomping his foot while doing so. However a moment after he had turned to look and scold Jirou for her less than pleasant view of him, the darn thing sparked.

But unlike the last few minimal sparks, this was enough to actually give Kaminari himself a mild electrocution from the broken device. Jirou and Kirishima stiffened, raising their arms towards their faces in an effort to protect themselves from the flying sparks.

"Why is it doing that?!" Jirou called, watching as Kaminari detached the device from his arm, thus cutting off his own electricity from flowing into the device.

"I-I don't know!" He yelled out, his skin browning and his hair singed ever so slightly from what the machine had done to him.

"You must have done something, bro." Kirishima spoke, hardening his right arm and picking up the still sparking machine. "This doesn't just happen suddenly."

"I- um..." Kaminari twiddled his thumbs, looking at the ground as he spoke. He might as well come clean now, he did almost cause his friends bodily harm after all. "I might have dropped it-"

"It can't be this broken from dropping it-"

"-from the top of one of the buildings in UA's cityscape..."

Jirou closed her mouth, hearing the full confession. "You forgot to tighten the harness around your arm, didn't you?"

Kaminari nodded, running hands through his hair and letting off an angry and frustrated muffled scream.