Chapter 13 , "A wonderful surprise"

Terry was so happy that he regretted all the time he wasted being angry with Candy for something she hadn't done. He was trying to make it up to her every day by doing something nice for her. He would buy something for her every day for the baby and for her too. He was in a flower shop. Instead of calling to have them delivered, he wanted to pick them in person.

- How may I help you sir? Asked the employee

- I want a nice bouquet for my wife

- All right, what are her favourite flowers?

- Candy? Her favourite flowers?

In fact, he had no idea!

- Your wife's name is Candy? Asked the employee.

- Yes...

- Well we just received some new flowers, white roses with a little green, called "Sweet Candy"

She showed him the beautiful roses. Terry looked at them smiling.

- Oh, they're perfect! Candy also has green eyes! I'll take a dozen!

The seller arranged the bouquet with shiny green paper after wrapping it in tissue paper first. She put a nice white bow and the bouquet was irresistible, Terry gave her a nice tip took the bouquet and went back home and he stopped by the restaurant to buy Candy's favourite meal to go. When he got home, he founs his wife looking at a catalogue with decorations for Junior's room.

- Oh honey! You're here! She said standing up to go and greet him, what is that smell? The steaks from the golden buffet? I love them! You know that right?

She took the bags with the food.

- I know darling. I got you a bouquet of flowers too...

- Really? She said distracted

She turned around and she saw the beautiful bouquet of with roses with green rim...

- Wait, I'll put the food in the kitchen

She took the food to the kitchen. She went back to get the flowers her husband had bought for here.

- Oh my God! I've never seen such beautiful flowers! She said smiling.

- They're called "Sweet Candy"

- You're putting me on!

- No, I swear! The seller suggested them to me when I mentioned your name was "Candy"...

- Why were you talking about me?

- Because I didn't know what your favourite flowers were... what is it?

- What? Said Candy who was looking at the flowers amazed.

- You favourite flowers?

- Oh... The '"Sweet Candy" of course! What a question!

She hauled herself to kiss him on the mouth, he leaned and met her half way.

- Thank you my love, theses roses are magnificent...

- Nothing is too good for you my Juliet...

- Let's go eat, I'm starving! Said Candy dragging him to the kitchen, first let's put these beautiful flowers in a vase...

oOoOoOoOoOo

The weekly dinner at Candy's father had become rare. Candy was talking to her father who was trying to tell her that everything was fine.

- Daddy, how could you say that? Ever since I got married, I noticed that something was not fine with you and grandma...

- You can come to dinner tonight with your husband, you'll see that everything is fine.

- You promise to answer my questions?

- I always answer your questions honey...

- You know what I mean

- You want a special menu tonight?

- Meatloaf, home fries and apple sauce...

- Very well, I'll tell cook. See you tonight.

- See you tonight daddy. I love you.

- I love you too, honey!

oOoOoOoOoOo

That evening, Candy and Terry went to the manor for dinner. Candy had asked Terry to order some "Sweet Candy" so she could bring the bouquet to her father.

- Good evening daddy, good evening grandma, said Candy

She gave the bouquet to her father.

- Flowers? For me? Said William with a pleasant tone.

- For you and grandmother, said Candy

- Thank you honey, aid the grandmother, they're magnificent these roses! Are they for real?

- Grandma, you think I'd offer you plastic flowers?

- But how are the rims green? Asked William.

- Terry discovered them in a flower shoe, they're called "Sweet Candy".

- You're putting me on! Said William smiling that Candy must love the colour green

- It's the perfect green of your eyes, said her grandmother

- Fascinating, right? They put me in a good mood so I wanted to share that with you too.

- You're adorable, my darling, said William hugging her, I love you my little girl.

- I love you too, daddy.

They went to have the aperitif in one of the living rooms. While they were walking, William got a phone call on his cellphone and he went to his office to answer it. Terry approached Candy...

- Are you really in a good mood because of the roses?

- Yes...

- The seventh heaven , that was because of the roses too

- You really want me to say it? No, that was my Romeo who never misses his shot! To think I thought I was frigid!!! Thank you Romeo for liberating me!!!

They went to the living room and before they sat down, Terry took his wife and kissed her on the lips...

- Candy, your room upstairs is still available, you know, said her grandmother

- It's going to be fine grandma, we did it before we came...

Terry shook his head smiling! The grandmother burst out laughing.

- What's so funny? Asked William who had just came in.

- Terry was kissing me, so grandma told me that my room upstairs was still available, but I told her that we already did it before we came, to celebrate the while rose which had my name in fact...

Terry looked at his father in law.

- Was she always like that?

- Always, the first time she got her period, she came to meeting room at the office , I was with investors and my associates: " Daddy, I have to go back home, I need the driver. I just got my period for the first time after gym class today! Do you realise that? I'm a woman now!" Needless to say that I didn't know where to put myself! Raising a girl alone was very interesting. Mom helped me a lot...

Everybody was laughing.

- I would've gone to grandma, if it had happened at home, dad. I needed the driver and your office was not far from the school, said Candy and you've always taught me to tell the truth, didn't you?

- Well, I'm learning to know you my darling, said Terry smiling and I love you a little more everyday.

- I love you too, Terry...

- You have to say, you met, you made love, then you ran away like a thief when you found out she was my daughter. And you come back six months later and she's pregnant with your child! You really didn't have the time to know her...

- I don't do one night stands, said Candy, I thought I was going to have a relationship with him...

- That's not what we taught her, said her grandma

- I should've done things in order, said Candy looking down, I wanted to do like everybody... and I got pregnant!

- Well, what's done is done! Said William

- You got married and you're happy, said her grandma, that's what's important

Terry felt a little ashamed. All this story with Candy, had started by a one night stand... He was also better educated that that... He looked at Candy who was looking at him and he smiled back at him to reassure her. She smiled at him too.

- For my first marriage, I did everything in order and it failed, said Candy, this time I wanted to have a little fun like everybody and I end up married to the most wonderful man...

- And I never thought I would've fallen in love and be happy with William Andrew's daughter! Said Terry smiling

- Dinner is served, announced a maid after arriving in the living room

- Let's go and have dinner, said William

Everything went fine, dinner was to Candy 's taste. Her father and grandmother did the ultimate effort to act fine in front of Candy. After dinner, they were all having tea in the living room.

- So Candy, said the grandmother, Junior is still not on his way?

- He's taking his sweet time, yet we're doing everything to make him come sooner...

- Like what? Asked William

Before Terry could reply, Candy said:

- We're doing it very often... it seem that the sperm is a naturel accelerant agent for the contractions...

William was a little embossed and Terry shook his head smiling.

- You mouth has no brakes, Freckles, he said

- What? He asked the questions...

- You're going to go soon, said her grandmother

- Go where? Said Candy

- Go give birth...

- Oh? You know something I don't grandma?

- I know it's soon.

- You're very smart mother, she's due any day!! Said William ironically

The atmosphere was getting heavier again. Candy looked at her father.

- Daddy? Are you going to tell me what's wrong between you two?

The doorbell was heard.

- Are you expecting someone tonight? Asked Candy

The doorbell was heard again...

- Looks like butler is not there, said Candy, I'll get it.

She stood up...

- You have to rest, said her father

- No, I have to walk to give birth sooner..., said Candy going to open the door.

Her walk had changed, maybe that's why her grandmother said she was going to go and give birth soon... She thought the hallway to the front door was long. The doorbell was heard again twice before Candy reached the door.

- There there, I'm coming! Said Candy when she got in front of the door to open it and the butler suddenly arrived running.

- Miss Candy! Miss Candy! Let me get it! Go back in the living room with your family

- Since I'm here...

- But she les the butler open the door, because they heard rang the door again. There was an armchair and she sat down, a little out of breath. the butler opened the door.
- Hello, said the butler, can I help you?

It was a man in his sixties who was wearing a black suit.

- We would like to speak with William Andrew, please

- who is asking for him?

- Agent James Freeman from the FBI.

Candy stood up to go back to the living room while the butler was talking to M. Freeman. She arrived in the living room.

- Who was it? Asked William.

- A certain agent freeman from the FBI

- What? Said William

- the butler arrived and I came back here

The butler arrived a few moments later.

- Sir an FBI agent named James Freeman wants to have a few words with you. He says it's important.

- At this hour? I don't feel like having visitors, it's my time with my family
- Daddy, the Feds don't come to house so late for nothing, it must be very important, said Candy

- for you my darling, it's your time...

- I'd like to know what they have to say. the Feds? Like in the movies!

Candy was excited like a little girl and William smiled looking at her. He liked seeing her in a good mood even if he wasn't for a while now.

- All right, let him in, he said to the butler

- very well sir.

The butler got out and came back a few moments later with James Freeman. He was tall, very attractive despite his advance age.

- Good evening M. Andrew. My name is James Freeman, from the FBI.

William stood up to greet him.

- Good evening M. Freeman, please have a seat.

- Thank you.

- What can I do for you?

- I'm sorry for coming so late in the evening... But we've tried to contact you at your office unsuccessfully

- I'm a very busy man, M. Freeman

- So I've noticed. Can we talk in private? I've got upsetting news to announce you.

- This is my daughter, her husband and my mother. I have nothing to hide from them, especially if it's upsetting news.

Candy took Terry's hand. She was starting to be scared by that man.

- As you wish M. Andrew, but I warned you...

- Can you tell me what you have say, said William impatient

- Very well, M. Andrew

- Before we start, said Candy, would you like a cup of tea or coffee Mr. Freeman?

- Yes, thank you, said Mr. Freeman

Candy when to get a cup in the cupboard in the dinning room to serve him a cup of tea. He took some cream a one sugar. Then she went back to sit next to Terry.

- You could've asked a maid to come and serve, Candy, said her father

- Why daddy? Since I can do it...

William looked at her smiling.

- Thank you very much, Mrs. Grandchester

- You know my name, that's weird

- I'm here to tell you that a few ears ago, there was a crime committed by a member of a very known family, that should've been done in silence, but it had one eye witness.

That eye witness wanted to remain anonymous but we found out her identity and her family was also concerned. They wanted to kill this witness so there will be no proof... we had to make that witness disappear...

- Disappear how? Asked Candy

- He means they gave the witness a new identity..., said Terry

- What's that got to do with us? Asked William who was getting impatient

- if you want to let me finish, said Mr. Freeman

- All right, said William, get to the point fast.

- That witness had to disappear and abandon her family just to make sure nothing woud happen to them... she had to disappear and say nothing to her family...that witness was sent to Australia.

- Australia? that's it? You're talking about 4 continents between the witness and her family, said Candy

- M. Freeman , said William impatiently

- Who is the witness? Asked the grandmother with a white voice

William turned his head to look at her. His mother's face had no colours...

- Mr. Freeman, my mother asked you a question, said William
Mr. Freeman took his phone and he pressed a button and he said:

- It' time...

And then he turned to the family and continuer.

- I don't know if you've read the papers lately, there was some sort of gang war between the mafia families and all the men of the families are dead... those who were in prison got killed too... so the witness is no longer in danger

The doorbell was heard again. then people were coming in and they could hear footsteps walking towards the living room...

A woman came in wearing a beige light coat, she was wearing a scarf the same colour. she was also wearing dark glasses, she was followed by a lot of men.

- But what is..., started William
His face was stunned, like he has just seen a ghost. He looked at the woman who had just come in.

- Georgie?! He said like he couldn't believe his own words.

The woman took off her glasses and her scarf.

- William..., she said

- Georgie!!! Oh my God! Said William standing up to hug her hard.

Georgie was surprised, she didn't expect her husband to be so happy to see her. Candy didn't understand what was going on. Georgie? As in her mother? Her mom was back, but...

- Mom? Said Candy standing up

Georgie let go of William and looked at her daughter, Her eyes became filled with tears.

- Candy? Oh my God! You're pregnant!

Candy ran into her mother's arm and she burst into tears.

- Oh mom, mom! I've missed you so much! Said Candy crying her eyes out, especially ever since I'm pregnant! I need you so much mom! Oh mom!!

- I'm here baby, I'm here... it's over baby, mommy is here...

They spent a moment being moved and tender. Candy introduced her husband to her mother.

- Mom, let me introduce you to my husband.

- Pleased to meet you ma'am, said Terry, I've heard a lot about you.

- Really ? From my daughter?

- No, from my father...

- Your father?

- Richard Grandchester...

- You're Richard's son? Oh my God! Small world!

- You can say that again, said William ironically

- He's still with your mother? The charming Eleonor?

- Yes, they're in love like the first day...

- One would womnder what she finds in that old coot..., said William.

- Well, she loves her him and, said William's mother, she didn't leave him like some other people

- Mom! Said Georgie, always so charming!

- How dare you come here like nothing happened? You abandoned your family!!!

- I didn't have the choice...,said Georgie sadly

She approached William's mom and she hugged her.

- I even missed you mom...

- I missed you too, only because William was blaming me for your departure!

- Oh William...

- Why did you leave Georgie and why did you come back? Why now?

Everybody seemed to have forgotten bout Freeman and his men, aside from Terry who said:

- M. Freeman was talking about a witness earlier and a mafia family... you're the witness, aren't you?

William, Candy and her grandmother looked at Terry like he had just fallen from the sky. What was he talking about? Candy turned to her mom and said:

- Mom, you witnessed a murder? That's why you disappeared?

- Yes, she said

- You abandoned your daughter! Said William

- I couldn't asked you to disappear with me...

- Why not?

- You had your company...

- But you were more important than my company, don't you know that?

- I know, that's why I didn't say anything... I wanted to protect you and Candy... I couldn't risk your lives...

- Come on Georgie! Said William, you didn't even give me the choice! You made the decision for me!

- William, please, can you let me talk?

- Yes, daddy, let her talk, said Candy

William looked at his wife with eyes filled with love. He wanted to hug her and never let her go again, His wife's eyes were begging...

- All right, he finally said, go ahead Georgie...

- It was a lot of years ago, I had a doctor's appointment, started Georgie. After my visit, I had to walk to my car, and I took a small alley a little dark and I saw something horrible. I saw a man getting killed, and the worst part is I saw the killer's face. I was horrified and I ran to the police station. I think the killer saw me... I spent time at the police station looking at hundreds of photographs and after a few hours, I finally identified the killed,,, and the person who was killed was a cop working undercover in the mafia... The killed was careless, even if he had a silencer on his gun, he took a big risk doing it in broad day light... But I supposed he didn't want to risk the cop to snitch on him even if it was already too late, but the mafia doesn't forgive... So my life was in danger... I had to disappear... I couldn't risk your life and Candy's. IF the killer had found out who I was, he could've killed you us all to make sure there was no witness... the mafia didn't know my identity yet, but it was only a question of time... they had spies everywhere... I couldn't risk my family's life...

- That's why you started getting upset for every little thing? With mom for a yes and a no?? Asked William.

- Partly, yes, I had to disappear William so your lives wouldn't be in danger...

- Oh come on Georgie! You should've told me! Said William outraged, do you have any idea what it was not know where you were? I looked for you everywhere... You had disappeared into thin air...

- I think the Feds made sure that all the search failed

Terry thought about his private investigator he had hired to find Candy's mother and he understood why he couldn't find anything.

- I've missed you all like you had no idea...

- You could've taken Candy with you, said William, she needed you.

- I know, said Georgie looking at Candy with love, but I didn't want to leave you alone William, since I had to disappear...

- I don't understand. You'd rather I stay with Candy? why?

- I told you I had a doctor's appointment that day, remember?

- Yes...

- It was my OBGYN, who had just announced to me that I was pregnant...

- What???!!! Said William stunned.

- Since I was going to have a baby, I thought you could keep Candy and I'd have the baby... in case I had to disappear for a long time...

- How generous of you, said William mother, sharing kids like they were toys!

- I missed my daughter every day...

- You abandoned her! Said William angry

- Daddy, I'm fine, said Candy, but looks like you forgot what mom just said, she was pregnant when she left! Did you have the baby mom? Do I have a brother of a sister?

Georgie looked at Candy with love.

- You have a brother... you have a son, William she said turning to him

- What?

Georgie looked at Mr. Freeman and he made a head sign. Footsteps were heard and a young man arrived, he was William spitting image when he was younger. William's mother put her hand on her heart saying:

- Oh my God!

The young man approached Georgie.

- This is Anthony, she said, Anthony, this is your father and your sister...

Candy had stood up and she smiled.

- Hi Anthony, she said

Anthony looked at her smiling.

- Oh Candy! I'm so glad to meet you in person! Mum couldn't stop talking about you!!!

Candy jumped to his neck and he hugged her back.

- Hi Big sister!

- Hi little brother! Said Candy smiling, my God! This is wonderful! Daddy! You have a son!

She let go of him. William was also standing up. He looked at his son, who was as tall as him and who looked like him, like a twin. Anthony hugged his father hard.

- Oh my God! Dad!

- My son, said William moved, I've always wanted a son to succeed me.

- Mum put me in business school, so I'll be ready when we come back

The grandmother was also stranding up.

- Anthony? I'm your grandmother

- Good evening grandma! I'm happy to meet you! Said Anthony smiling

- Oh, you're so handsome! You look exactly like your daddy!!! Thank you Georgie!

- So you've studied business? Said William smiling

- Among other things....

- Among other things? What do you mean?

- I mean my real passion is botany, said Anthony

- Botany? Said Candy

- Yes...

- Anthony created a rose with green rim he called

- "Sweet Candy" said Terry

- As a matter of fact, said Anthony looking at him

- Anthony, this is my husband Terrence Grandchester

- Pleased to meet you, said both men shaking hands

- I bought flowers for my wife and I was surprised to find a rose with her name and with rim the same green as her eyes...

- It's the same green as mum's eyes and I wanted to honor the sister I didn't know...

- Oh Anthony! Said Candy smiling thank you so much

- Congratulations my son. Candy brought me a bouquet of your roses earlier today.

There roses were now on the living room's coffee table. Anthony looked at the flowers smiling.

- They're splendid! Said the grandmother

- Thank you , said Anthony

- So, said William, you're back among us now?

- Like Mr. Freeman said, the members of the family who wanted my death killed each other with their enemies. So I'm free to come back among you now...

- Georgie, said William moved

- I'm here William, if you need a little time, I'll understand...

- Georgie, I've missed you like you have no idea... I really don't have any time to waste thinking, he pulling her to put hi slips on hers in a fierily kiss.

Candy looked at her parents smiling. Her mother was what was missing to her happiness and she was not there. She hugged Terry.

- Mum, dad, said Anthony, you want to go to your bedroom?

- Let them savour his wife Anthony, said his grandmother, he missed her too much.

The parents stopped and looked at them smiling.

- Oh mom! Said Candy, I needed you so much, especially since I got pregnant, I wanted you near me.

Georgie approached her and hugged her again.

- I'm here baby, I'm not leaving anymore.

- Thank you mom, I...

But she stopped.

- Terry...

- Yes my darling?

- My water just broke...

- What? Said Terry

- We have to go to the hospital! Said William

It was a little panicky for a while and finally everybody, aside from the Feds, went to the hospital for the birth of Candy's baby.