Chapter 4 , "The dinner"

Candy was on a cloud, that evening the doctor came to pick her up. She was going to have a baby, it was the most beautiful day of her life. She was already imagining that little being growing inside of her. Who will it take after? Will it be a boy or a girl? She wanted a baby in good health. Boy or girl, it didn't matter. She was going to have a little being just for herself whom she was going to love unconditionally. Her grandmother was going to be so happy to know she finally going to be a great-grandmother... Even if it was out of the sacred vows of wedlock. Well she had been married, she could be married again one day... Terry... he had the right to know. She had to tell him. She was going to think about it later. For the moment she was going to have dinner with the good doctor. She was wearing a red dress and she let her hair down. Annie had done curls on them with the curling iron.

- You look ravishing, said the doctor smiling

- Thank you doctor, you're very handsome too.

- Thank you...

He took her arm and they went to a restaurant where they served submarines. Candy was happy with her lemonade, she was ecstatic, she was going to have a baby, something she thought impossible, she had had her little miracle. She was praising and worshiping God with all her heart and all her soul... Nothing was going to ruin her day. Michael was telling her stories from the hospital and Candy was laughing out loud, she was happy. There was also a band playing modern music.

- Can I have this dance? Asked Michael.

The music changed and a Tango was starting...

- You want to dance the Tango? Said Candy

- Of course my pretty Miss.

He took a rose from the vase that was on the table. And they walked to the dance floor. They started dancing so graciously, that the other people stopped to look at them. Candy felt like she was floating in the air... She was smiling laughing like there was no tomorrow. Her father wanted her to know most of dances so she could manages in those parties he would bring her. He would teach her the dances and he had made it very fun, it wasn't a chore, it was a pleasure. He father was great, they were very close and she loved him a lot and she was sure he was going to be glad to learn that she was going to have a baby. She was going to have her own baby! She had tried with Neil for so long and just one time with Terry and it was done! Terry was wonderful! He was the man she needed, he was able to make a baby with her, just like that! Life was beautiful! When the Tango was over, Michael with the rose between his lips, Candy was against him, the left leg lifted against her partner's right thigh. Everybody started clapping and Candy burst out laughing with Michael who kissed her on the cheek, smiling.

- You're an exceptional partner! Thank you so much.

- No, thank you for sharing this joyful day with me, said Candy laughing.

Michael took her hand and they went back to their table. They had brought their dessert. Chocolate mousse. Candy was glad.

- Hum, that is so good! It's delicious!

- In deed...

- You know according to polls, women prefere chocolate to sex?

- Really?

- Yes, my good doctor...

- Do you agree?

- Well, chocolate is delicious and we're always sure of the result, that's it's going to taste great, as opposed to sex...

- You've had disastrous experiences?

- For the sex?

Michael looked at her and he smiled. That girl didn't keep her tongue in her pocket.

- Yes, for the sex...

- My husband was my first...

- How was it?

- The first time, it was horrible...

- Really?

- I was a virgin... and I just got married, so there was no turning back...

- You stayed together for long?

- For a while, I thought it will get better, it was stale...

- Stale?

- I didn't feel anything...

- Oh...

- Neil was calling me frigid and when I couldn't have children, the verbal abuse got worse... in the end, I had enough of this marriage where I wasn't even having an orgasm, getting called names from dusk til down...

- You could've adopted...

- He wanted his own children...

- Maybe he should've learn how make love to his wife first, said Michael

Candy burst out laughing.

- No kidding! She said laughing louder

Michael joined her and they continued laughing. The other customer were looking and some were envying the to see them so happy.

Among the customers a young man was watching him ever since they came in, it was Terrence Graham Granchester on a date with a pretty blonde woman.

- They're making a spectacle of themselves! She said following Terry's eyes, first that vulgar dance...

- It was a Tango, very well danced...

- It was vulgar you man! And the way she showed her thigh, kind a light...

- Lizzie, are you done being jealous of a stranger?

- I saw the way you were looking at her...

- Lizzie...

- All right... but we came here to have dinner and you can't stop looking at another woman... you have to look at me!

- You're done eating? You want dessert? A coffee?

- I've eaten enough, a coffee with no sugar, please. We have a long night ahead of us...

Terry looked at her. He had invited her on a date with the hope of spending the night wither indeed. But after seeing Candy with a man, so happy and so full of joy, he didn't feel like sleeping with Lizzie at all. He couldn't stop thinking about her ever since their break up, he was unable to function for weeks now, he finally managed to invite Lizzie, his ex-girlfriend on a date and he sees Candy with another man in the same restaurant?! That girl didn't want to let him go! She was so beautiful when she was dancing with her date, there was something sensual and erotic that excited his jealousy. He had to restrain himself to not go separate them and take Candy to dance with her. But he was looking at lizzie, who was very attractive to his eyes at one point of his life and all of a sudden, she wasn't that attractive anymore. He had to make the ultimate effort to smile at her.

- Yes, we have the whole night in front of us...

But he had ice cream, vanilla ice cream with chocolate fudge for dessert, knowing it was going to make him sleepy...