Chapter 12 , "An almost perfect happiness"

Candy and Terry were doing a lot better, now. They were an exemplary couple and people at work were also happier because of them. But Candy still had one worry. She was thinking more and more about her mother. She didn't know where she was and why she wasn't giving any sign of life. Terry wanted to calm his wife down. He hired a private investigator to look for Candy's mother.

They were having dinner at Candy's father. They had to go to the weakly dinner. Both William and Terry loved Candy and they wanted her to be happy. Dinner was a little tense.

- Everything seems to be going well with you two, said the grand-mother

- Yes, aren't they lucky! Said William ironically, no more troublemaker...

- William, said his mother, I've apologised, I should've stayed out of y our marriage, but I was so worried about you...

Candy looked at her father and grandmother. The tension came from her mother's disappearance. It looked like her father was upset at her grandmother... Ever since she got married, it had become more obvious. Before that, it looked like her father was doing everything so she wouldn't suspect anything.

- I have to review a file, said William standing up.

- William, we're in the middle of dinner! Said his mother.

But William stood up and left the table to go lock himself up in his office. There was a silence in the dining room. Candy was surprised. She didn't know about this tension between her father and her grandmother. For her, beside her mother's absence, she had grown up in the perfect family!

- What's going on, Grandma?

- Nothing for you to worry about, said her grandmother, how's your baby?

- Junior is fine and I love him with all my heart, but I can't wait for him to come so that I can finally sleep on my belly! I miss that!

- You know, you can still sleep on your belly, said her grandmother

- But I have a big belly grandma...

- I know, but you can, if you want... you just push Junior on the side and you'll be able to sleep on your belly...

- Is that a joke grandma? What if I suffocate by baby?

- Honey, if your baby is in distress, you're going to feel it right away, because you'll also be in distress...

Candy looked at her grandmother with big eyes.

- Are you serious?

- I'm serious as a heart attack, said her grandmother

- Do you hear that, Terry? I want to try it...

- If you're sure it won't be dangerous for Junior..., said Terry

- Don't worry; at the first sign of distress, I'll stop...

Dinner was over and they brought dessert for them. It was chocolate mousse, Candy was ecstatic.

- This is the best dessert in the world! She said savouring it.

- To hear you, I can believe the studies saying that women prefer chocolate to sex, said his grandmother

- Maybe when I was married to Daniel, said Candy, but with Terry, it's the nirvana!

- I knew Daniel Reagan was incompetent, said her grandmother bursting out laughing.

- He can't do business either, said Candy laughing too

Terry looked at his wife and shook his head smiling.

- You're not kidding right? It's really better with me?

- You want me to repeat myself? Before you, I didn't know what it was to reach seventh heaven... Daniel used to say I was frigid... and thank you again for putting him back to his place that day...

- He wasn't really made for you, he did a lousy job with your father's business, he could take you to seventh heaven and make you a baby! Said her grandmother

- He wasn't made for me! Said Candy.

- All right, said Terry, I really not used to have this kind of conversation with my grandmother!

- Come on young man, said the grandmother, even in Africa, there's no taboo when you talk to grandmothers!

- Are you blushing Terry? Said Candy smiling, you're really too cute! Let's talk about something else grandma, we're making my hubby uncomfortable... Why is daddy upset with you?

The grandmother became serious all of a sudden.

- I'm tired, she said standing up. Thank you for coming children.

And she left the dining room to go to her bedroom without another word. Candy and Terry were stunned. Where did the happy shameless grandmother go?

- What's going on? Asked Terry

- I don't know exactly, said Candy sadly

She was thinking about her mother. She wanted to see her so much and the heavy atmosphere of the manor had probably something to do with that.

- Let's go back home, said Terry, Junior must be tired, and are you done with your chocolate mousse?

- Are you jealous of my chocolate mousse my love? Said Candy smiling.

- I don't know, you're moaning while eating it, you're practically having an orgasm!

- You know that before that's how I had them?

- Are we still talking about that? If it stops you from being sad... good for you. Let's go home...

- You promise to take me in seventh heaven?

- I promise to take you higher, said Terry smiling

He took her hand and took her back home. They went to the bedroom and as promised to her higher than seventh heaven.