Chapter 1 "Romeo..."

Candy White was having lunch with her friend Annie Brighton in a Chinese restaurant with a buffet.

- You want to come to the theatre with me?

- What day?

- Tonight... or tomorrow

- All right. Tomorrow is not possible, I volunteer at the community kitchen...

- You're very generous with your time...

- I like helping people...

- That's very good. But you also have to think about yourself. Ever since your divorce, you're not living...

- Living? Or you mean fornicating?

- Candy...

- You know that's not like me...

- True. You were a virgin when you got married! Incredible!

- I wanted my husband to be my first

- Well that bastard dropped you like a hot potato when he realised you couldn't have children. You could've adopted

- He wanted to be related to the children by blood

- Good riddance, he was a bastard, I still wonder what you saw in him... ok enough about that bastard

- What are we going to see at the theatre?

- "Romeo and Juliet"

- Very romantic, a love story

- You have dreamy eyes... you're thinking about someone

- No... it's nothing

- Out with it!

- There's this guy...

- Oh, a guy... where?

- A the community kitchen

- The community kitchen? Not a hobo, I hope

- No even if that was the case, I like him... he's got blue-green eyes and long hair and he's to die for...

- I've never seen you like that... have you talked to him?

- No...

- Why not?

- He looked like he kept to himself...

- Candy, that's not like you... you look like you're scared

- After my divorce, I don't really have confidence in myself...

- You're bastard of a husband really ran you down... Candy, you're very beautiful, men are crazy about you...

- If you say so...

- Next time you see your Romeo, talk to him. You've got nothing to lose

- You're right. I'll talk to him, said Candy with dreamy eyes

- There's the Candy I know and love! Full of life

Candy burst out laughing, she realy had crush on that stranger for the community kitchen. Annie burst out laughing too. Candy had to get over her disastrous marriage... They finished their meal and they went back to their occupations. Candy went back working with her father. She didn't need money,b ut she liked being busy. Especially after her divorce, she need to changer her ideas. Annie went back to her place to spend time with her mother.

Candy was in her father's office.

- Are you coming for dinner tonight sweetie?

- No, I'm going to see a play with Annie

- The theatre? Which play?

- "Romeo and Juliet?

- Very romantic

- Isn't it?

- You've got a date?

- No, I'm going with Annie

- You haven't changed orientation, have you?

- Daddy! It's not because I spend time with Annie that I've changed orientation...

- I'm teasing you

- You're going to have dinner alone?

- Like a big boy

- Daddy, you need company...

- At my age, I don't have time to run after women...

- I'm sure there are some women running after you too

- Yes, but I'm not interested

- Oh daddy, you never forgot mom...

- Your mom was unique

- I miss her too...

Her father didn't reply. Candy approached him and she kissed him on the forehead. She went back to her place to get ready for the evening. Her father wished she was living with him at the manor, but Candy wanted to live alone. She was passed the age when her father would control everything she did and that's what he was going to do.

She put on a green dress and did an up do with her blond hair. Annie came to pick her up on time. She was wearing a blue dress, and she also had a nice up do.

- Are you ready sweetie? Asked Annie

- "Oh Romeo, Romeo, where fort art thou Romeo?" Said Candy

- Let's go Juliet, said Annie smiling

They went to the theatre in Annie's car. There were a lot of people at the theatre. Most of them had already seen the play, but "Romeo and Juliet" was a classic, that everybody liked to see.

- I come for the actors, said a lady, I like to compare performances, tonight we're going to have a Romeo I haven't had the opportunity to see on stage yet...

Annie and Candy went to sit listening to them talking. The play started.

It was very nice. The actor playing Romeo was absolutely fabulous. Candy was completely under his charms. During the intermission, she went to stretch her legs with Annie.

- Are you ok Candy?

- Oh Annie, the actor playing Romeo?

- What about him?

- He's my guy...

- What guy?

- The one from the community kitchen...

- Really? Small world...

- No kidding...

- Now, you'll have a subject of conversation, Juliet

They went to powder their nose, then they went to buy some drinks. All the ladies were talking about the charm of Romeo, all the ladies wanted to be his Juliet... Annie and Candy bought red roses.

The play and the intensity of the emotions and Romeo and Juliet's love, was felt very strong. At the end the ladies were in tears. Roses were thrown on stage and everybody stood up to give Romeo a standing ovation.

- BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!!

Candy was crying of joy and emotions.

- Juliet, I feel your love for Romeo just got stronger

- I know it's stupid

- No, sweetie, you're normal... you're finally over your ex-hubby

Candy burst out laughing in the middle of her tears.
- You want to try and go see him in his dressing room?

- Are you out of your mind? As whom?

- He goes to the community kitchen, he must know you by sight

- No way!

- Coward!

- I'll talk to him the next time I see him, not tonight... I've had enough emotions for one night.

- All right, let's go have dinner

So they left the theatre to go and have dinner in a nice restaurant and they talked about Romeo.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Candy spent the following days working like in a dream. She couldn't wait to go to the community kitchen to see her Romeo. She arrived at her place and changed her clothes. She put on a jeans and a green shirt. Her hair were tied up in a ponytail. She took her car and she went to the community kitchen. It was an activity she did to help the community and the needy. She was lucky to be coming from a rich family. She was making donations in food banks. She went to the community kitchen twice a week. She had noticed her Romeo for sometimes now. She had never talked to him, but she would smile at him and he would smile back at her. He didn't talk much. But he was very eloquent as Romeo on stage. He had a natural talent. What was he doing in the community kitchen? He probably had a story...

They were almost done serving people. Candy had the basket with little buns of bread, she put on the tables. She had a last one, she was about to put on Romeo's table.

- Good evening, said Candy smiling

Romeo lift is head and smiled at her.

- Good evening...

- Was it good?

- Very good, he said

- I wasn't a good cook. I've learned a lot from here

- We learn something new every day.

- Indeed. I saw you the other night; you're an excellent actor...

- I beg your pardon?

- You played Romeo on stage...

- You saw me?

- Yes...

- Oh...

He was a little ashamed, all of a sudden.

- You were excellent!

- Thank you... I did it just to pass time

- You should make it your career

- Tell that to your father. He'd rather I take care of family business...

- Oh... so that's what you're doing at the moment?

- Let's just say, for the moment, I'm more Romeo than a business man...

- I'm sure you've got a lot of fans on stage... well yesterday, all the ladies were probably eating out of our hand after the play...

He smiled. They talked again for a while, then Candy went back to the kitchen to do the dishes. He followed her and wiped the dishes and put them in the cupboard. Then he helped her clean up and swipe the room. Candy was ecstatic.

- I'm going to get going, he said.

- Good bye Romeo, said Candy smiling

- Good bye, Miss Freckles...

Candy burst out laughing. Romeo left. Candy went back to her place on a cloud. She was singing in her head, she was happy.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Romeo went back to his place. He turned on the light when he got in his apartment. His phone rang and he answered.

- Terry?

- Archie!

- You just came from the community kitchen?

- Yes...

- I'm wondering why you go there. It's not like you're starving...

- My grandfather created it, I go there in his honour

- He created it for the poor, not for you...

- Well the moment I need money...

- That's because you want to... I still got the money from the sale of your family's company. You can buy another company or a theatre troupe if you want

- There is no way I'm buying a theatre troupe with the money of my family's company...

- You can't continue acting for free... you've got talent, go to Hollywood, there are talentless actors making millions of dollars...

- I've lost the company, it makes me mad... I'm sure I was set up...

- But you can't prove it...

- Well, I was in a good mood and you're calling me to ruin my evening

- In a good mood? Did you bang a girl?

- No.... but I could've if I had made a little effort

- Oh... do tell...

- She works at the community kitchen, she's one of the volunteers...

- What stopped you?

- She saw me on stage last night playing Romeo...

- So...?

- She calls me "Romeo"

- Ah, you don't want to be rude because she sees you as "Romeo"...

- You got it...

- How is she?

- She's blond, green eyes and she has freckles on her nose...

- She must be cute...

- She's beautiful you mean...

- Sweet dreams buddy...

oOoOoOoOoOo

At the same moment Candy was back at her house, talking to Annie.

- So Juliet? How was it with your Romeo?

- Well we talked...

- You talked about what?

- The theatre, Romeo, the weather, everything! Oh Annie I wanted to stay with him and talk all night. He's even more charming when he talks!

- Wow! You should've taken him with you for a roll in the hay!

- The first night? Are you out of your mind?

- Sometimes I forget I'm talking to a virgin...

- Annie...

- You know everybody has sex, that's normal...

- Maybe, but I was not going to spread my legs the first night...

- Well you can dream about it now...

- I'm going to go slowly... I don't want to scare him.

- All right. Good luck... Juliet.

- Everything is going to be fine, I'm sure of it. We're on the same wavelength,... it's a small world...

Yes, it's a small world. She was seeing her "Romeo" when she went to the community kitchen, not knowing that he might be the man of her life... A meeting by chance allowed her to engage in a conversation with Romeo. She was going to do everything to be his Juliet.