Chapter Sixteen

Jenna freaks out when I tell her the tails of last night. She says that she totally ships us, ohmygod, and we should totally go out.
And I say: "No I'm not into him like that."
And she says: "You say that now."
And I roll my eyes and she gives me a look.
"Are you gonna do the thing with him, though?" Jenna asks, folding her arms on the table between us.
I give her a dubious look, "Of course not. I'm not the type to go and put alcohol in drinks at dances."
"You used to be," She comments.

I sigh heavily and put my chin on the heel of my hand, thinking about it.
"I'm trying not to be like how I was last year," I say, "I don't want to get drunk and have sex and, I dunno, get into a relationship."
"Jayce, though," Jenna says, "He is perfect for you."
"No he's not," I retort, furrowing my eyebrows slightly, "Just 'cause he got my dad to talk and drink coffee--which he hasn't done for years. And he got him to smile...fuck, he should date my dad."
Jenna laughs, "What the hell, Lee, that's disgusting."
I laugh, "I'm just tired."

I don't tell Jenna this, but part of me is nervous to see Jayce. I'm worried he'll be weird or awkward about everything the last night, even though that doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know him that well, but I have noticed the look he'll give me if he can tell I'm sad. Hopefully I've misjudged him and he acts perfectly normal.

Jayce shows up to English a couple minutes after the bell and sits down.
"I'm assuming you're still gonna be my sidekick," Jayce comments, glancing over.
"I never agreed in the first place," I answer, narrowing my eyes at him.
"So you will," He says, and I can't tell if it's supposed to be a question.
"No?" I question, furrowing my eyebrows slightly.

"Okay, it'll be fun," Jayce answers, "We're not gonna get caught and it'll be adventurous."
I'm about to give in when he adds, "And you'll look hot."
I shoot him a glare and elbow him in the arm. There's amusement in his eyes, but he doesn't smile or laugh.

I guess I do owe him one, though, after the way he got my dad to smile, drink coffee, and talk. And I suppose he's right about it being fun and adventurous. Although, I'm not gonna look hot.

"Oh my god, fine," I finally say and Jayce smirks.
"Glad you oblige," He says and I roll my eyes, almost immediately regretting my decision.

Jenna invites JAden to go to the dance in the group with her and I because Kaylee and Ryan are going as friends, Danny doesn't "do dances" and Jaden decided he didn't know anyone enough to ask. He informed us that "some Sydney chick" had been hinting at wanting him to ask her to the dance. Luckily for Jenna, Jaden finds Sydney repulsive.

After school, Jenna and I go to my house to get ready for the dance, which starts at 7:00. It's currently 3:30, but, according to Jenna, it takes hours to get ready. My neighbor, Mrs. Benson, is over when we get to my house. Mrs. Benson is like a grandma/mom/sister to me. She's in her sixties, so she makes fudge and makes sure I always have plenty of food, but she also gives me boy advice and gave me the talk, and she listens to my drama and gossip. Basically, I love her a lot.

"Hi," I say happily.
She's sitting at the counter with my dad the way she does everyday to make sure he's okay. Normally it's while I'm at school, though.
"Hi, sweety," She says, then looks at Jenna, "It's good to see you again."
"You, too, Mrs. Benson," Jenna greets politely.

Mrs. Benson walks over and hugs both of us before looking back to my dad.
"He's been doing really well," She informs me, "He even drank coffee today--had some special recipe."
"Oh," I smile, "Jayce wrote that."

Mrs. Benson looks back at me with a slightly tilted head of confusion.
"Jayce," I repeat, "The guy I've told you about? Black mass of anger? Always smells like cigarettes?"
"Oh, Jayce," She answers, suddenly remembering the name, "He suddenly seems like a likable character."
I laugh, "He's not that bad. Anyway, me and Jenna are gonna get ready for the Christmas dance."
"Jenna and I," Mrs. Benson corrects, then adds, "I remember when I had those. You girls have fun."
"We will," I answer with a smile before ushering Jenna up to my room.