Chapter 27: Misunderstandings and A Whole Lot of Spirit

Start from the beginning

Probably gliding the marble floors with Slippy the Floorskater Doggie. Who knows?

Lady Cu knew the outcome of her plan, but she didn't speak about it. I knew she felt bad but she had too much pride to show her sadness and regret.

After I read other news about Michael's escapades, I asked the maids to help me pack my belongings and to get my ticket for California. Lady Cutting and the duke had given me an allowance every three days (which I tried desperately to refuse to no avail) and so I saved a lot. The duke seemed to like me enough, but he never really had a true conversation with me.

So anyway, when they heard I was leaving, they didn't complain. They bought me a first-class plane ticket back to San Ricardo. I also told Lady C about the diary I found, and then apologized for reading it. The shocking part was she cried when I gave it to her. All her memories were there, and she gave me a fragile hug.

When I first met the dowager, I thought she was so cold and unapproachable. But that was just her outer mask. Inside, she was just like Grams.

I was proud of myself to earn the love she now had for me.

"You're always welcome here, darling," she whispered. "And...I'm sorry, with all my heart, for how everything turned out. I'll make sure he sees reason, you'll see."

"Thanks, Lady C," I told her with a smile. "But I won't be coming back here. I can't. And don't do that to him, please. Let us go."

I wanted to choke.

She nodded in understanding. "I see. Well. I'll come and visit you from time to time, would you like that?" I smiled, despite the sadness I was feeling, "Take care always, child."

I left and went straight to the airport.

And now here I am, ready to head to the international area for my flight.

"Come here, you," Frederick said, giving me a tight hug. "I'll miss you, Kells!"

I laughed. "Me too, mate." He laughed at my adopted term.

Anthony came to me and gave me a hug too. Needless to say, he looked like a hot mess with the bruises and the cuts. My gut wrenched horribly. "I'm sorry everything went differently. But always remember that we, your friends, will always be here for you. You know who to call if ever you need anything, yeah?"

"Got your number and everyone else's," I confirmed with a nod.

"That's a girl," he said, laughing.

"Say hello to San Ricardo and St. George's for me!" Viv exclaimed, waving, as I began walking away with my carry-on.

"And say hi to your parents for me," I told her back.

Viv's parents were coming to meet the dowager and the duke, as well as talking to Frederick about some terms regarding their daughter. They wanted to move the wedding date to a year, at least until everyone was completely legal like Michael, Emerson, and Richard.

Before I went away fully, I saw Emerson laugh at something Richard said, and he wiped her laugh away with a kiss; then Frederick and Viv were nuzzling each other, while Anthony was grinning at me, waving his hand. I waved back and he winked. He was still recovering from Michael's punches, but he was all right now.

I took a deep breath and went inside the international area.

At exactly five in the afternoon, my plane left for San Ricardo, California.

I spent the whole flight gripping my seat with no one to comfort me.

^^^^^

It was day eight of my stay back in America, and still, people were buzzing behind my back about my split with Michael, the Marquess of Sterling. Kids in St. George's Catholic School looked at me in sympathy, and most of the girls who were in love with Michael, who no longer went there, eyed me with contempt -- some of them were laughing behind my back.