Chapter 24: Glam Shoots and Scandals

Start from the beginning

And now here we were, in the tent, where Natalie, Viv, Emerson and I had one hour of hairdressing and makeup done perfectly and professionally by artists from New York and Paris.

The shoot was set up near the giant fountain area at the courtyard of the mansion, where a vanity table, chaise longue, and an elegant table was set on the side, shaded by trees.

The taskmaster (agent) was happy about us because we were all so tall, Natalie and Emerson towering over Viv and I by an inch. We also had that graceful bone structure that was perfect for the elegance of the Tuisson name. He said the head of the line would be happy about us and the shoot.

We were all dressed in elegant ball dresses that ended just below the knee, layers of skirts made of soft chiffon, tulle, and silk wrap. We were all wearing gowns that would compliment our skin and features.

For Natalie, since she was pale and fragile-looking (ha! Emerson, Viv and I couldn't stop scoffing at that statement), she would wear the gorgeous baby pink gown with the swansdown neckline, the back revealed a touch too low. Emerson had that dark, mysterious look, so they gave her the red ball dress with the bodice curling up around her neck to her small waistline.

Viv and I were tanned from San Ricardo -- you didn't need to go to tanning booths; just walk outside San Ricardo, and you'll have an instant tan because of the ninety-five degrees of sun exposure -- we had gowns that would compliment our complexion.

Viv had the elegant white ball dress with a heart-shaped bodice and pearls sewed onto every part of the top, a delicate ribbon at the back. My gown, finally, was a gold ensemble with topaz and diamond gems sewed at the skirt in flattering patterns.

We put on high heels and our hair was done up with elaborate curls and sleek updos, barrettes or flowers placed at the side of our chignon. We had three gowns each to wear, all in all.

As we all stepped out of the tent, our hands covered in white or tan gloves from wrist- to elbow-length, holding a bag each from the clothing line. The Cutting family and Anthony Wattson watched beside the taskmaster and the happily satisfied makeup artists and dressing crew finally stopping fussing around us.

I saw the dowager looking imperiously regal and unapproachable, yet her baby blue eyes twinkled as she saw her real granddaughter and two soon-to-be-granddaughters-in-law look splendid in their ensemble.

I noticed she didn't even look at Natalie, who was the most gorgeous of us all in her dress.

Frederick was looking proud and stunned as he saw us, especially at the sight of Viv, looking like an angel. Maxwell was scrutinizing us, his legs crossed elegantly, watching silently. Anthony was smiling, yet when he watched his sister walk toward the mark where she was supposed to stand on, that smile faded. Probably, he remembered what happened to them earlier inside his sister's guest bedroom.

I gave him a little smile of sympathy and when he saw my grin directed at him, he brightened, giving me back a small grin, nodding his head.

Michael saw it. I knew he did. But he shrugged and gave me a wink, that famous crooked smile, that always turned me to Jell-O, glowing my way. I truly kind of slacked when I stood on the X mark on my feet, just because of his damn smile.

"All right, ladies," the taskmaster said (his name was Jonathan, but everyone was used to calling the "the taskmaster" behind his back). "Here's the thing: Emerson, darling, you are going to face the vanity table, looking at yourself in the mirror. Like...you're about to dab on lipstick. In fact, pick that lipstick up -- yes, gorgeous! Keep on acting like you're going to swipe it on your red lips some more." Emerson grinned brilliantly at him.