Chapter 23 | Plots and Discoveries

Start from the beginning

"We'll see, sir," Anthony said with a challenge in his blue eyes, smirking.

The duke left with a booming laugh that echoed through the entire room.

I looked at Michael -- he looked...well...royally pissed, to say the least. For some reason, I thought he was jealous of Anthony Wattson and the bond the young man had with his father.

But I said nothing.

^^^^^

"She said that?" Vivian exclaimed, looking aghast.

She long finished Spy with Frederick and now they were in the room my best friend and I were staying in, along with Emerson and the dowager, who was visiting. Maxwell was said to be asleep again, after having dinner with the family, in the master bedroom, while Michael was in his room, glaring at the fireplace, nursing a glass of whiskey in hand.

It was already ten in the evening, and everyone was dressed (except the dowager) in their pyjamas. If you call the girls wearing custom-made Armani night gowns embroidered with silk, lace threads at the bodice, complete with velvety gem-colored robes "pyjamas." Frederick, on the other hand, was wearing a plain black shirt and grey sweats.

"Yes!" the dowager answered emphatically to Vivian's previous question. "Are you daft, girl? I just said the whole story!"

Vivian glared at her. "Well, soh-rry for trying to actually believe the whole tale while Fred and I were watching a totally awesome movie!" she retorted.

Lady Cutting looked over at Frederick, who was trying to hold back his laughter at the whole scene. "I like her. Has spunk."

Instantly Frederick sobered, eyeing Viv with affection. "I know," he said gently.

Viv was too heated up to even hear what he'd confirmed. "The bitch! We have to create a plan. Like...like kidnapping her from her sleep, binding her wrists behind her back, covering her mouth with a wrap and throwing her down a Highland cliff!"

Everyone gaped at her.

"What?" she demanded hotly, looking uncomfortable with all the scrutiny she was receiving from all of us.

Let's just say Viv had met Natalie at dinner. First thing she'd noticed was that the model was gorgeous, but she'd sensed something evil, so she hadn't liked the Natalie immediately, but...

"Who are you?" I asked my best friend in shock.

"That's totally evil," Frederick seconded, widening his eyes at his fiancée.

"Radically evil," Emerson followed, slightly quirking an eyebrow.

"That's a GREAT idea!" the dowager boomed, thumping her cane. "But might I suggest burning her alive and then we --"

"Grandmama!" Frederick looked thoroughly shocked.

"It was only an idea," she grumbled defensively.

I cleared my throat. "Anyway," I went on, "everyone here seems to have the same thoughts about Natalie. She's a total --"

"Cellophane?" Lady Cutting finished for me.

I stared at her, blinking. Marge Swinton.

"Well, yeah," I agreed, averting my gaze and clearing my suddenly clogged throat. "It's obvious she's just trying to be nice toward me and everyone else."

"She's trying to make all of us believe that she's such a nice person," Viv said sourly, with an expression that said as much as her words.

"And trying to steal my brother!"