Chapter 23 | Plots and Discoveries

Start from the beginning

"Vivian," I interjected helpfully, giving her a wobbly smile.

"Right! Vivian. The four of us will have a photo shoot tomorrow here at the estate. It will be a five-page spread! We'll all be dressed elegantly and gorgeously, and also, darling Anna Wintour liked my idea about having the three brides with their grooms doing a shoot together for their exclusive wedding edition. That'll be next month. An interview is part of the deal, but I didn't want to add that because I know some of you don't want to be interviewed, though they want that to happen so I had no choice."

I buckled in my seat, my mind alert now. "Why do we have to do all that shooting and stuff?"

"You see," Natalie started, looking innocent, "it would really let people get to know the new It couples! It's going to be lovely, you'll see."

I tensed and Michael seemed to sense that, too, so he took a step closer beside me and held my hand.

"Wow," Emerson piped in, standing up from the velvet settee. "I'm so excited about the photo shoots coming! I'm sure we're all going to be so glam!"

"No doubt about that, Em." Natalie winked; then she turned to me. "What do you reckon?"

"I don't know...this is all so shocking," I said, feeling numb. I mean, yeah, it was pretty exciting that Natalie got us booked for magazine shoots and all, but still. I had a feeling this was not going to go down well. "But...er..." -- I shrugged -- "let's just go and have fun, right?"

"Right!"

"Check and mate." We all turned our gazes to Anthony Wattson, who was talking in his deep English voice, knocking down Maxwell Cutting's king on the board. "I win again."

"You're the only one who can beat me besides my own mother," Maxwell announced in astonishment.

"I take that as a huge compliment, your grace."

"Indeed you should, my boy," the dowager said with a sniff, lifting her chin an inch to show her smugness.

"I take it best at heart, madam." Anthony grinned boyishly, rivaling Michael's own smile and charm.

"Hehehe," the dowager clucked, shaking her head, laughing mirthfully. "I certainly like you, young man. Always have. And see? You beat my son at chess! Smart lad," she complimented.

Anthony bowed his head in respect toward the dowager. "I do my best. It certainly is a trifle hard to simply best the duke at anything --"

"Nonsense," Maxwell huffed gruffly, putting back the magnificent marble chess pieces inside the board's compartment. "You beat me three times. Certainly, that's not difficult?"

"He's just being modest," Emerson intercepted, leaning her shoulder on the window sill. She grinned. "Anthony here has always been sickeningly polite, being the gentleman that he is."

I felt Michael tense, based on the way his back suddenly became rigid and his hand squeezing my own rather tightly.

Natalie's brother chuckled. "Yeah, but we still become honorable when we can. It's in our nature."

The duke stood up, looking at all of us. "If you will excuse me, everyone, I will be in my room to rest. Many things to do tomorrow. Business, preparations for the ball on Saturday --"

"Oh!" Natalie said, making everyone stare at her. "It's no problem, your grace. I can help with the preparations. I'd love to help Lady Cutting."

The lady mentioned merely grumbled in response.

Maxwell smiled, but it was a little odd for him because he seemed like the type of man that didn't smile quite often. "That's what I like about you, my dear," he complimented. "You always know what to say." Natalie thanked him with a blush. "And you," he smacked Anthony's back heartily, "be prepared for our next chess game, lad. I'm going to beat you next time."