Chapter 58: Sweet Mary

Start from the beginning

"Thanks Freckles." Tony pulled it from her hands and Mary's eyes went wide in surprise.

"Interesting." I murmured to myself.

"Enter drudge." I said before she could slip away. She followed quickly behind my mate and bowed low when she saw me.

"My Lord." Came her quiet greeting, and as was custom, she did not meet my eyes.

"You are excused from your duties today." I said. "You will accompany us on our tour around the coven grounds at noon."

Another bow. "Very well my Lord."

I waved a hand. "That will be all."

"Yes my Lord."

Tony waited until she had closed the door behind her before he spoke.

"I thought you had an all-day meeting with your dad today."

I sat up against the headboard. "Another day will surely cause him no great inconvenience."

Tony took a bite out of his rather large sandwich.

"Why'd you ask her to come along?"

"She fancies you and now I am intrigued."

Tony shook his head. "No she doesn't. She's a vampire."

"So am I."

"That's...different."

"How so?"

He seemed to think on the matter for a moment before he offered his reply.

"It took me weeks to get you to even look at me, and when you finally did, it was only because I annoyed the shit out of you." He explained. "Today's the first time me and Freckles have even exchanged a word."

"You do not see yourself clearly my love." I told him. "I was enthralled by you since the first day you approached me and insulted my robes."

He snorted. "Sure."

"The night we met I was merely passing through your town. Do you really think it so fascinating in that dirty little village that I would choose to remain there for any length of time?" I asked. "I stayed because you caught my interest. There were days when I would follow the scent of your blood through the streets without a thought."

Tony chewed in slowly. "So, you're saying you pretended to hate me in the beginning?"

I laughed. "Oh no. Make no mistake; I hated you. I hated the very sight of you. I hated your constant chatter, the smell of your blood, the way you would drag your feet as you followed me through the streets. I wanted to strangle you every day that you appeared before me."

He raised a brow. "But?"

"But that was only because you had ensnared me so thoroughly that I could not go even a moment without thoughts of you flitting around in my mind. I hated that you, a mere human child, held such power over me."

"And you're saying your little drudge is feeling the same way?" he asked in disbelief.

"I am simply saying she fancies you. No need to get ahead of yourself." I said, and he laughed.

"Well if that's true then isn't inviting her to come with us a little cruel?" he questioned. "Maybe it's better I kept my distance."

I drew up a leg and rested my arm upon my knee. "I prefer to think that I am doing her a favor."

Tony rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Go to your meeting and stop trying to take your boredom out on your staff."

"My father can wait."