8.5 - Inner Voice

LLH 8.5 -- Inner Voice

It took Sandi Griffin four days to get sick of the loneliness.

It wasn't one of the things she thought about, really. She had never really been alone, trapped in a house just a tad too small for five people, with two annoying brats who were always in her business. (Everyone had better houses, and Quinn's was the best of all.)

So she decided that she would find her own company in life. She pursued popularity like a drowning man pursues a rescue rope. She created the Fashion Club -- it was all her idea -- to create her own friends, who would be just as beautiful and popular as she was if not more so. She would have the pick of the crop at Lawndale High School -- the eligible and popular boys would be divvied between the four of them, with Sandi and Quinn arguing as to who got first pick. 

If she were in her room, alone -- she had to be, away from her dumb family -- she would stay on the phone for hours, occasionally deigning to do enough homework to keep from failing. If Sandi had to have companions, they would be companions on her terms, and her terms alone.

Then it all went to hell. The superpowers, which Sandi thought would make her even cooler and more popular than ever, turned out to be a burden. Sandi was the weakest member of the Legion. Lawndale High School was a thing of the past -- the county couldn't even build their tent school in time, and the other students had been scattered across the county. Now, she had the nasty lesbo Sergeant Nemec screaming at her (not so much anymore though), some black guy who thought he was God bossing them around, Dawn Hall screaming at them on the phone, and now she lived in a tent with all those unpopular people like Jane Lane and Daria Morgendorffer. The loss of Lawndale High School didn't even get rid of Upchuck, and now she was stuck with him, too.

So when Major Armalin ordered the Legionnaires to split up, Sandi knew where she wanted to go.

Paris. The City of Lights. The fashion and popularity capital of the world, where everyone was tres chic.

And she shopped. She needed some serious shopping therapy. It would have taken three people to buy as many new clothes as she had, but luckily, she was three people. And it would have taken a lot of money, but triplication made Sandi her own money machine.

French boys were nice, even though they smoked, which was totally gross. The Fashion shows were also cool, and Dawn Hall managed to find a few tickets for her where Sandi could be introduced to the world of haute couture, where the people were really interesting.

But it wore off. Parisians were glad that Sandi made stabs at the mother tongue, but she soon found out that her one year of "B" French did not make her fluent. Most of the time, she was confused and annoyed. She had rented a car but driving was a nightmare, even with Sandi's newfound experience in "offensive driving". (She intended to ask Armalin if her experience with Parisian drivers counted for extra credit or something.)

Like it or not, without her friends, or family, or anyone to kowtow to her...Sandi Griffin was alone.