1.2 - The Most Important Girl in the World

1.2 -- The Most Important Girl in the World

"Wake up, sleepyhead!" It was Helen. "Time to get up and go to school!"

"Mmmm." Daria tasted the dried saliva in her mouth. She still ached. "Mom...I don't think I've quite recovered from that lightning bolt. You might be endangering my fragile health. I think we should take another month off."

"If you're not downstairs in half an hour, you'll only wish you were hit by a lightning bolt. Come on. Get up!"

It had only been a week since Daria, Quinn, and Jane had their "accident". The neurologist said that he couldn't find any signs of damage beyond the cosmetic. Helen had gotten the clear signal on Friday and it was back to school on Monday. Which meant that it was time for Daria to subject herself to Lawndale High. Daria would have rather gone another round with the skunk.

The family table hummed with its usual action -- Helen running about like a crazy woman, Jake lost in the Lawndale Shopper, and Quinn sitting at the table eating Model Crunch cereal.

Daria looked across the table. "Gloves, Quinn?"

Quinn turned red. "My fingernails haven't grown back yet! And I don't want anyone to see me without them! It's like not being dressed! I don't want anyone to notice them!"

"So...you're wearing gloves? That'll work." Daria chewed on a piece of toast.

"Am I wrong," said Jake, "but if Billy substitutes for Bill Keane in Family Circus, shouldn't his drawing have gotten better by now? The kid has to be a least thirty by now!!"

"Girls, if there's anything wrong, if you're feeling bad at all, I want you to call me and I'll pick you up immediately. There's nothing more important than -- oh, excuse me -- (picks up phone) Hi, Eric! What? All day? He called in sick? The nerve of him!!"

"I'm just glad to know that you're watching us with your eagle eye, Mom." Daria finished her toast as quickly as possible. "Gotta go. Hey," she said to Quinn, "aren't you usually out the door before I am?"

"I have a ride with Bret. He called me and wanted to do so much for me I just had to let him offer to drive me to school for the next week." Quinn sighed. "It's just so good when so many people show so much affection for you when you're ill and can't take of yourself and stuff! I might even let him take me to Chez Pierre! Unless Brian offers to first! He has a nicer car!"

"Maybe you can talk some guy into holding your pencil for you. I gotta go." Because my brain has suffered enough. The day hasn't even started and I already have a headache.

Daria began the walk to Jane's house. Jane was undecided if she would go to school or not. The day would really suck if Jane didn't go.

Before Daria knocked on the Jane's door, a clean, combed Jane opened it. "Hello, amiga! Ready to go back to the salt mine?"

"Now I know you were brain damaged. How come your hair isn't in your mouth and your eyes aren't encrusted with barnacles?"