6.5 - Snapshot in Time

LLH 6.5 - Snapshot in Time

(Note: these events originally took place in 2005 but shifts to the time steam have moved things up to a time closer to the present day. There are theories that changing the time stream simply creates an alternate universe, but I'm not an expert. - JB)

(* * *)

Sandi Griffin showed up at the designated place. It was four blocks away from Daria Morgendorffer's house, in the opposite direction, far enough away that Quinn couldn't see Sandi's car from her bedroom window.

She's late, thought Sandi. Daria Morgendorffer was late for the morning run. A good fifteen minutes late, and time was wasting. They would have to make it in time for home room, and have time to change clothes as well.

Sandi put the gearshift in drive and pulled away in the Ferrari. About five minutes into the drive, it came to her.

Daria had decided not to show up because of that unfortunate incident at the animal shelter. God, Daria, you just take everything so personally!, thought Sandi.

Daria's feelings were hurt, and now, Daria was giving Sandi the cold shoulder. Sandi, however, had already forgotten about it. After all, didn't Sandi have to support herfriends, too? Didn't Daria know anything about being popular, or making sure that the desires of the other members of the Fashion Club, to a certain extent, were taken into account?

Trust you to throw a little hissy fit because you didn't get your way. If Daria didn't want to be an adult (as Linda Griffin might have said), then fine! If Daria wants to get beaten up by some rapist, then so be it. And see who begs who to help who in a fight!

Sandi removed thoughts of Daria from her mind. Her mind would be blissfully Daria-free until some time later.

(* * *)

Sandi moaned as she completed the last lap of her four laps. She crossed the finish line. A whole mile completed! She looked like a total wreck, but Sandi was able to run an entire mile without resting (although very slowly). Smirking, Sandi told herself, I'll bet Quinn Morgendorffer couldn't run a mile!

She flopped onto the ground, spread eagled. Stings of her long hair were in her face, and the unadorned, non-made up skin under her mane was coated with a fine glaze of sweat. It felt good to be able to run a mile, but at the same time, she despised every step of it.

Sandi, however, was not the only figure at the deserved junior high school running track which doubled as a football field. The field had an observation tower, which was used by the junior high school football coach. Here, the coach could look down upon his charges while on high. The tower was used by the occasional gang as a "hideout" or by the risky couple who wanted to make love up on high.

A figure stood in the tower, amidst the graffiti and used condoms and empty beer cans. It watched Sandi Griffin with some interest.