(8) Time for Boys

Start from the beginning

"Oh yeah...!' Protect the humans, kill the demon's" I mocked, putting on my best Jace impressions causing a chuckle from Clary and an amused smirk from Jace. "It's a Shadowhunter's thing... They protect humans from demons" I explained to a doubtful looking Simon, who stared at us all as if we'd grown another head.

"Demons, right. That makes perfect sense, cause there are demons running all around New York." Simon sarcastically replied causing a scolding look from Clary and I grin from myself. "That is the first correct thing you've said all day." Jace chided making me giggle in reply, only to receive quite the look from a moody Simon.

Simon clearly isn't Jace's biggest fan.

"What is going on? Why is there a mundane in the Institute?" Alec questioned abruptly, his eyes hard as he gazed down accusingly at Simon, clearly not trusting him either. "Oh look, it's the fun police coming down to interrogate the Mundie. Does that stick ever come out of your ass?" I questioned curiously, my face faux innocence making Alec's scowl increase substantially as he glared distastefully at me.

"A Circle member followed him to get to Clary." Jace said, clearly trying to remove the tension that had appeared between Alec and I.

Well that's what happens when your too uptight, people get annoyed.

"A Circle rune, just like the guys that took my mother." Cary said, as if the pieces were beginning to fit together in her head. "What exactly is a Circle member and why are they trying to kill us?" Simon asked for us all and I nodded my head, also wondering the same.

"All we know is a long time ago the Circle led a revolt. A lot of Shadowhunter's got killed including my father." Jace explained, his face hard reinforcing his strength, but his eyes faltered at the end, clearly showing how he missed his father.

And I can sure as hell relate with those Daddy issues.

"Were not really meant to talk about it," Alec added starkly "It was a dark time in the shadow world"

"And now the only person who knows the truth is missing, so I don't care about your rules or what's forbidden, there's got to be someone out there who can tell us why they've taken my mother." I snapped irritantly, the idea of the circle being a forbidden topic was not going to cut it with me, especially since my mother's life was basically handing in the balance.

"There is" Jace said as he began waking towards me, not stopping as he passed Clary and moved towards what seemed to be the training room. "You coming?" He called over to Clary and I as we nodded moving forwards.

I hope whoever this mystery guy is, he has the information we need.

***

"Okay, so we know that Valentine is back and wants the Cup, and for some reason he thinks my mother has it." I sigh incredulously, already hating this asshole Valentine and all the drama that is surrounding him.

"Could she?" Jace asks "Have the Cup?"

I glance at Clary who shrugs back at me, clearly not knowing the answer either. "I don't know." She mutters, whilst running her hand through her hair, the stress of being unknowledgeable visibly getting to her.

"Look, Clary, Cam, you know about runes. You've drawn them." Jace says stepping forwards his eyes clamped firmly down on Clary and I, as if we were the answer to everything, though technically we are.

No pressure, I guess.

"You know something. Think, please." Jace begged, his eyes holding a pleading emotion as if he HAD to know everything, as if without our memories we wouldn't be able to get far.