Chapter Forty-Four "Facing Percival"

Start from the beginning

            "Friendship?" I heard him lean forward, it must have taken him a moment to look for me, "Margaret, don't you understand?" He got to his feet and he had surely been drinking a great deal as the glass slid from his fingers and shattered on the floor. When I turned at the noise, I saw him start to sway as if he would fall and I rushed to his side, "Margaret," he sighed as I helped him into the chair again. His hand reached out and gently touched my arm.

            I went to the door just as Jensen was coming in to find out what had happened, "It's just a broken glass, Jensen. Please bring some tea quickly for Mr. Stanhope." I turned back and Percival was reaching for the bottle of brandy that sat on the side table. "I think you've had enough of that," I said moving it out of his reach.

            "What happened, Margaret?" he asked. His eyes roamed over me, "I thought that you felt something for me . . . and then you were in his arms . . . I saw you!"

            I knelt beside him, trying to pick up the larger pieces of the glass, "I did feel something . . . I mean I do . . . I care about you very much, Mr. Stanhope."

            "Percival," he reached out and touched my cheek, "please call me Percival. It's been so long since you've called me Percival."

            I let out a deep breath, "Yes, Percival, I do care about you . . . but . . . "

            "Your brother said that you're to be married . . . " he sighed letting his finger trace the curl beside my ear, "to that blighter of all people!"

            "Do you even know him, Percival?"

            "Do you?" he countered. "You've only known him for a few weeks!"

"Percival," I sighed. I had no idea what this would be like, but I wasn't expecting him to be like this. "What did Faith tell you?"

            "That you didn't know . . . how I felt," he whispered brooding at the fire.

            "I didn't . . . you said nothing," I tried to smile as I let my hand rest over his, "I was just a simple girl making doe eyes at my sister-in-law's brother."

            "But I wrote you," he leaned forward and took my hand in his, "I told you my hopes."

            "I never got it, Percival. Patience made it clear that you were not for me . . . "

            "Hang Patience!" he hissed, "There was no cause for her to have her nose in this!"

            "I know," I said soothingly pushing him back against the chair, "but it has happened. Just as a marriage arrangement has happened for me."

            "You can't tell me that you're happy about it." I could tell by the way he said it, it was more of a question that he was afraid to ask.

            "No, I wasn't," I confided, "at first I was beyond angry. I felt betrayed. I wrote to Freddie begging him to come and save me from this fate."

            "You could have written me," he sighed, "I would have come as soon as I could."

            "Part of me hoped that you would come and take me far away, Percival, but I had no claim on you . . . "

            "I should have told you how I felt," I could see remorse in his eyes.

            "That might have saved us considerable trouble," I tried to laugh but it came out dry and forced.

            "Then come with me now, I can take us where they will never find us . . . " he stood bringing me up with him, "We won't say a word, we can slip out through the kitchen . . . come with me, Margaret?"

            "I cannot," I said taking a step back, "my heart belongs to another now."

            His eyes blinked rapidly and he turned from me, dropping my hands "You truly love him?" he said walking to the window.

            "The blighter?" I smiled in jest, "Yes, I do. Thomas is a good man," I said moving to stand beside him and looking out at the rain.

            "Tell me then, if there was no settled arrangement, would you come with me then?" I heard the last ounce of hope in his voice and he hardly turned to look at me as he asked.

I took a moment to fully comprehend what he was asking of me. "No," I answered.

            "So it is the boy you love, not the settlement or the demands of my sister then that are tying you to him?"

            "He alone holds my heart," I breathed and my hand moved to the token around my neck. Percival had noticed my movement and he turned fully to look at me as I gazed out into the spring rain.

            "Did he give you this?" he asked as he moved my hand away.

            "He did," I felt ashamed for bringing any attention to it, "It was my birthday gift."

            "There must be some great meaning behind the simple flower for it to be worthy of a birthday gift," he tried to smile but I could tell that it really was not in him yet.

            "He has given me a great many violets . . . "

            "A delicate love," he breathed.

            "Percival, I never meant to hurt you . . . "

            "Shush now," he said pressing his finger to my lips, "I don't blame you . . . I am not happy with this outcome, but if you are sure, then nothing that I can do or say will change your mind." His eyes lingered on my lips for a moment before he blinked and looked into my eyes, "You will go and marry the blighter . . . and I will return to the sea."

            "But Percival," I wanted to say so much but the words were failing to come to me.

            "I will be fine, Margaret. You do not need to worry for me . . . " he made his way to the door and walked into the hallway. I followed, still at a loss for words. When I caught up to his stride he was in the drawing room with Freddie and Faith. "Excuse me," he bowed, "Thank you for the use of your house, Mr. Woodbridge. It was very kind indeed," as he spoke Freddie and Faith got to their feet. "I will be making preparations to return to my post this evening. Faith, you may go with them now if you wish, I can have your things sent over. Or I can accompany you back to the Edgehills on my way. The choice is yours."

            "Come now, Percival, there's no need to rush off," Freddie offered.

            I was standing there flabbergasted, Percival was now a staunch sailor once again. He turned to me, "It was very good to see you again, Miss Woodbridge. I only wish you true happiness." He bowed and made his way to the stairs. I turned to face Freddie and Faith. I could only imagine that my face mirrored theirs.

            "Well then, Miss Stanhope, will you be joining us?" Freddie asked.

            "I think it would be best for me to stay with my brother until he leaves," she looked towards the stairs, worry plainly on her face.

            "Very well then," Freddie bowed, "Come Margaret, let's leave them in peace." I followed him to the door, only stopping to curtsey at Faith. I so wanted to talk with her, but Freddie knew more how to deal with people, so I followed his lead besides, Faith would be returning to the Edgehill's home tonight and I could seek her forgiveness then.