18 - You like cats

"Breakfast was delicious, but I have never been so tired out." – Adrien said as soon as he came with Marinette into her room, leaving their parents downstairs.

"Tired out?" – Marinette spotted, closing the trapdoor.

"Well, be so close to you and have to watch myself."

"You didn't have to watch yourself." She replied, coming closer.

"Believe me, I had to." He smiled, embracing her tightly.

"Mmmm..."

"You're doing this again."

"What's that?"

"Your 'mmmm'..."

"I'm not doing that on purpose."

"Mmmm..." he wasn't convinced.

Suddenly they heard another burst of laughter downstairs.

"I think my mom probably hasn't laughed so much for whole her life, as she's laughing with you around." Adrien confessed.

"She didn't laugh so much before disappearing?" Marinette was surprised.

"She smiled a lot, but I don't remember too much laughing... I think it's something in you and your parents. You affect us."

"Affect you?" she smiled and winked at him.

"Making us happy." He replied, suddenly blushing.

"Uhm..." she murmured, putting her head on his chest. "You also... well... affect me..."

"You're cavilling!" he chuckled.

"And you're wasting your time talking." She sighed and rolled her eyes. "They'll call us downstairs any minute, and you're ashamed to kiss me in front of my parents, and..."

He interrupted her with a kiss. She was right. They were losing their time. He put his arms around her, and she climbed up and plunged her hands in his hair. He murmured with satisfaction. This moment could last forever.

Another burst of laughter came from the living room downstairs. They moved back from each other and looked down.

"Let's go to the balcony." Marinette whispered and took his hand.

It was just the same she had done yesterday, but this time Adrien was perfectly aware of what was on the mezzanine with something probably folded on it. And what shape the pillow was... He blushed at the mere mention of his own thoughts that yesterday had sneaked into his head after passing her bedroom.

Marinette looked at him surprised, because he was rooted to the spot instead of following her.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Er..."

"The balcony, remember? Upstairs?" she winked.

"Yeah... I remember. Even too well."

"I don't get it..." she came closer.

But he couldn't find the right words to explain why he became so uncomfortable when it came to go by her bed, pyjamas and cat-pillow. He remembered her talking about "degenerates" yesterday. What would she think about him when she discovered his thoughts?

"Well... The point is that..." he began with a strange hoarseness in his voice. "Well, you know..."

"I have no idea, Cat..." she whispered.

"Erm..." he cleared his throat. "You see... Uhm... How to... Er..."

"Just say it!"

"Because we have to go by your bed there!" he finally blurted with a terrible blush, closing his eyes.

Marinette looked at him in astonishment. She became as flushed as he had already been. And speechless.

"You want to tell me..." she said after a while. "I mean... I had no idea that this kind of thoughts come to your mind."

"They don't!" he denied but his deepening blush said something different.

"But you passed it somehow yesterday..."

"It wasn't easy..." he muttered.

And she suddenly remembered how he had taken a deep breath when they went on the balcony yesterday. Then she thought it was because he could finally breathe the fresh air. Now she had the picture of the full context of the situation and she understood that the cause could be completely different.

She laughed and flung her arms around his neck.

"I love you, Adrien. You're so cute!" she said and kissed him.

"You have a cat-shaped pillow..." he murmured after a while.

She smiled at him coquettishly.

"I do. So?"

"Nothing. But it turns out that you like cats."

"And you've discovered it right now?" she winked at him.

"Well..." he smiled. "I had some suspicions, but it's good to collect objective evidence."

"You still need more evidence?" she asked, climbing up again to kiss him.

"Never enough." He leaned and kiss her.

They didn't manage to go to the balcony, because a moment later Emilie Agreste called her son to go home. They sighed. Life invaded their happy bubble.

"I have to go." Adrien whispered. "We have some issues to deal with."

"Good luck."

"I'll come back in the evening. I promise." He said staring at her eyes. "Unless they arrest me."

"Very funny, Cat. I'm dying laughing..." she winced. "You'd better keep your promise and come."

"I will, M'Lady."

And he left.