08 - Who is as important to you as your mother?

They moved back from each other at the sound of that voice next to them. Marinette looked around. They were in a dark room with a huge rose window – the only source of the light. White butterflies were flying around, and in the middle of them there was Hawkmoth leaning on his cane.

He watched them with interest and a little surprise.

"All by the numbers..." he commented with satisfaction.

They looked at each other and at that moment both ran out of breath.

"Ma... Marinette?" Adrien whispered in shock.

"Oh my God..." Marinette sighed and then tears filled her eyes.

"I'm so sorry I got us into that."

"And I'm sorry I was talking those things about your father."

"Don't be. You were right." He muttered.

"Oh, Cat..." she whispered and touched his cheek. He closed his eyes. "I'm so sorry..."

He stared at her eyes. He had to get her out here! He took her hand. Marinette felt confused a little. She had already seen these green flashes in his eyes and she had a feeling of something special in his sight. But she couldn't find the answer what that could mean. Or rather she didn't want to believe in the obvious one?

She shook off the amazement. She remembered where they were. Trapped.

"Where are our kwamis?" she asked coldly, turning to Hawkmoth.

"Let's assume they are somewhere safe." Hawkmoth smiled slyly. "Until I need them..."

"But... how did you catch them?"

"I like design different things. If something absorbs me very much, well... I can be very creative..."

"But how?" Adrien asked quietly. He felt chills hearing that voice.

"Oh, I'm really proud of this invention. In the tunnel, which you politely chose to come here, I installed a hoop made of a special material that I had found with miraculous and the spell book. I discovered one day that this material catches kwami even against the will of their holders. I think it was the material used in the guardians' temple to control kwamis and their holders. Well... I tested it on myself, of course. Poor Nooroo... Well..."

Those his "wells" were sinister and terribly cold-hearted.

"You're evil!" Marinette exclaimed.

"Am I? Do you really think, that I'll worry about this charge, Ladybug?"

"If you had any human feelings left, you would..."

"I have a lot of human feelings. If you think about it, you could say that all I've done..." he hesitated. "I did because of love..."

"What?" they exclaimed, both astonished.

"Dark wings fall!"

After a while there was Gabriel Agreste in front of them.

"Father?"

"Don't be so surprised! You expected me here."

"Nevertheless..." Adrien muttered. "Why, dad?" he asked with reproach.

"It won't hurt, son. All I have to do is to make a wish. That's all. Then I'll give you back your miraculous and we'll all live happily ever after."

"No, we won't." Marinette replied firmly. "Your wish will have a price."

"A price?" Gabriel repeated.

"Yes. The universe needs a balance." Marinette explained and Adrien gazed on her with appreciation. "When you wish something to get, you'll lose something equally important to you."

"Well..." Gabriel thought deeply. "To be so close... I can finally get my wife back. Our family can be together again, Adrien."

"Don't you get it, dad? Ladyb... Marinette told you that you have to pay for your wish! To keep the balance. If you bring mom back, you'll lose..." he couldn't finish the sentence.

Gabriel looked at him with concern but soon he smiled slyly.

"So, maybe you will make a wish, son?"

"What?" Adrien was surprised. Father would give him both miraculous and let him make a wish?

"We'll get known who is as important to you as your mother..." Gabriel added in a threatening whisper.

Adrien's heart stopped. Was his father suggesting...? Did he know...?

"I'd rather die." Adrien replied.

"No!" Marinette exclaimed and took his hand.

"I won't let him do that!" Adrien said. "He knows."

"Knows what?"

"Who is so important to me." He whispered, looking in her eyes. "Who will be the price of my wish."

Marinette ran out of breath. She understood what Adrien wanted to tell her. It was so unfair and so cruel that he confessed his feelings in front of his father, just before one of them was to die.

"How touching..." Gabriel Agreste drawled. "Well, son? Have you made a decision?"

Adrien embraced Marinette tightly. He touched her cheek. It crossed his mind that maybe if he hadn't been so blind, it would be something inherent in his life. Would he get used to it or maybe he would never have enough? He would never know that now.

He leaned and kissed her, ignoring his father's meaningful grunting. If he was to die, he'd rather die happy.

He reluctantly let her out of his embrace and stepped back quickly before she could react. She looked at him with dreamy eyes, and moments later she touched her ears. She looked at him in horror. He took her earrings! He took them off when he was kissing her!

"Don't you dare do this! Don't give him my earrings!" She exclaimed at Adrien and moved towards him.

But it was too late. Miraculous of Ladybug and Cat Noir landed in Hawkmoth's hands.