|1• Their lives|

"Listen! I don't have any time to keep up with the greetings crap, so suck it up. Dad suffered a heart attack last night and was admitted immediately, he was declared dead this morning. So you need to be home in a couple of hours."

These brief words on the phone in a crude, bored voice of Inaya : Her sister, scratch it! Step sister left Nandini somewhat baffled.

Well, the news certainly didn't shook up the ground beneath her feet. It may appear insensitive to others that her father died in a heart attack and she wasn't wailing out loud, but to her it didn't.

The man who was just her father for name sake and nothing else, she surely won't cry her eyes out for him.

"You alright, Boo?", A warm hand was pressed to her shoulder and Nandini turned to look at her smiling.

Mukti smiled at her, warmly which reached up to her whiskey coloured eyes.

"Yeah! I'm fine, It's just that I need to rush back home. Dad passed away this morning." Nandini replied, her brown eyes sober.

"I'm so sorry to hear about it.", Mukti replied, apologetically.

"It's okay. No worries really! ", Nandini smiled at her best friend and held her hand.

To sum it up, Mukti was the ONLY best friend Nandini had and both of them were happily satisfied with it. They'd striked off a friendship after a week Nandini had joined University.

Mukti was hell lot talkative than Nandini could be and thousand folds more beautiful than her.

Whiskey colored eyes that were bewitching, Creamy Skintone with some gorgeous features and striking cheek bones complimented stunningly height with a good height and a slender body. No wonder guys used to swoon on Mukti Malhotra!

But all this never affected Nandini for Mukti loved and adored her like a sister, that one relation which she never knew what it felt like unless Mukti came into her life.

She was constantly switching her roles for Nandini, best friend once, sitting on her head like a mom next and third like her sister. Sharing her best friend's deepest fears, insecurities, happiness, tears and secrets.

"But I guess I have to pack.", Nandini replied, smiling a bit and she could just make out her friend's fallen face cause both of them, rather Mukti had planned to spend their holidays together at her home. Their final year exams had just finished and it was the holiday season just ushering in.

But knowing how Mukti was, Nandini wasn't surprised when she turned cheerful the next moment and helped her in packing her stuff. Finishing up in an hour, Nandini gave Mukti a warm hug muttering a quick sorry for spoiling all their holiday plans.

"It's okay. Your family needs you the most now!", Mukti smiled at her and Nandini let out a sigh. Her family needed anything but her.

"When will you be leaving?", Nandini asked as she picked up her luggage and strode out of the front door.

"Tomorrow afternoon. Manik Bhai will be here to pick me up", Mukti spoke up, happily and sure enough Nandini didn't miss the gleam in her beautiful eyes as she mentioned her brother.

"That's great! Tell him I said Hi! ", Nandini spoke up as she waved to a taxi and it stopped, it's tyres screeching onto the pavement.

"Do call me anytime, If you need anything!", Mukti gave her friend another warm hug and Nandini got in as the kind taxi driver hauled her luggage in the bootspace.

Nandini waved Mukti as the vehicle sped off towards the Michigan Airport.

Streets sped through the window as Nandini found herself loosing to her memories.