I take one step onto the driveway, careful to keep some distance between us.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to spy. It's just that the shift ended and—"

"Stop, don't worry about it."

"I'm sorry."

"You can go home now."

"Okay." I nod.

"Goodnight."

"Yeah, goodnight." I sigh.

He moves inside and I race to the car. I slide into the driver's seat and rest my head on the steering wheel. Nothing about this makes sense and I can't stop the curiosity from growing.

What's up with the argument and where are the bruises coming from? The Boss grabbed his arm and sent him away instead of escalating the situation into a fight. Austin is muscular and well built, but The Boss could easily take him down.

Should I be scared of him, or is he the one scared of me?

* * * * *

"I'm home," I shout from the front door.

"Tikera, please come here."

I toss my bag by the stairs as I wander into the lounge room. I'd rather stand under boiling water but I guess a polite conversation can't hurt?

"William, be gentle. I think you're overreacting. That's our daughter, she's a good girl."

Or maybe I'm about to be slaughtered? I've made mistakes in the past—I should be afraid of my father. The Boss seems like a fuzzy teddy bear in comparison.

"Is there something wrong? Did I forget to do the dishes or take the trash out?"

"We want to know more about your job. What is it, exactly?"

"I'm a gardener and house sitter." I proudly smile. "I know it isn't the job you dreamed I'd get, but I'm happy and it gets me out of the house."

"But you're not dirty and your work hours are all over the place."

"Gardening doesn't mean you spend every waking moment rolling in dirt." I laugh. "Besides, I just pull some weeds out, so it doesn't require much dirty work."

"What about the odd hours?"

"He's a businessman who frequently travels. I can work whatever hours I want, sometimes I stay at night, sometimes during the day. I miss you guys and Mum's delicious dinner. Is there something wrong?"

"It's just odd."

"So are these questions."

Mum tugs on Dad's arm, but his focus doesn't shift. There's no way they could know about the weed, my parents are too innocent for that.

"We're worried about you."

"I'm not worried," Mum comments. "Our daughter is earning money, she's happy and you're making an issue over nothing. Ignore it."

Dad pats Mum's hand and sighs.

"If Tikera has nothing to hide, she won't mind the questions."

Shaking my head, I plop onto the couch and snuggle into the cushions because we'll be awhile.

"You can keep coming with the questions, I have nothing to hide."

"Where do you work?"

"At a beautiful house which has an exquisite garden." I wink.

"What's the address?"

"Are you going to stalk my boss?"

"William!" Mum clings onto his arm.

"Are you going to tell me what the questions are about?"

Mum looks away and Dad's face never falters.

"What is the pungent smell, what plant does it belong to?"

"Seriously, what is happening here?"

Dad's face hardens.

"Why are you avoiding all these questions?"

"Maybe I've learned from the best? You're acting like a crazy person! Unless you want to shed some light on the situation, let me know what I'm being accused of."

"I just had questions."

"Great." I grin. "I'm just going to shower because I apparently smell pungent."

Dad glares as I trek towards the stairs.

"If I thought my daughter was into drugs, I'd tell you, William."

* * * * *