Interview with Vanair

Some basics about me

My name is Lisa-Marie.

I’m 26 and work in publishing in Canada. 

Notes on Covers

I make my own covers, it’s something I take pride in. Not all the stock photography is mine but I always get permission from the original photographer. I thinkt he cover I’m most proud of is ‘Mad Wendigo’ (Link: http://www.wattpad.com/story/1094451-mad-wendigo ) The female in the photo is not my photography but the zombie is and was a ton of fun to get. It’s exactly how I imagined my cover would look without any substitutions and I love it. 

How do you find out about Wattpad?

My friend is the perpetrator in this aspect, Trewest (Link: http://www.wattpad.com/user/Trewest) , who is a very successful and talented author on the site.  Most known for winning the Romance: On the Rise category last year in the Watty’s for her story ‘Queen of Spades’ (Link: http://www.wattpad.com/story/397177-queen-of-spades-house-of-cards-series-1-student) The two of us have been emptying our heads onto paper since as long as we’ve known one another (since Grade 3 I think) and she thought it would be something I could really get into. Don’t tell her but she was right. 

What do you most enjoy doing on Wattpad?

I love writing and interacting with commenters. I loved the reading too but getting feedback and hearing from those that are reading these stories is one of the best parts of being a writer. It can change the way you approach a whole story by getting feedback from those that love the story the most. That’s not saying I let them drive the plot, mind you, but that I think we all need to have a little perspective and having an open forum directly to readers can really improve the quality of what we Wattpaders are producing. 

How long have you been on Wattpad?

Since June 2011 so not that long in the scheme of things. I only really became more active around November of last year when I started prepping for my Watty award entry Let Me Introduce Marlow Samson (Link: http://www.wattpad.com/story/459485-let-me-introduce-marlow-samson-watty-awards-2012) Having an actual deadline can really get the juices flowing and keep a girl on target. But as a writer who always has more than one project on the go I couldn’t just write Marlow and branched into the other stories. 

What influenced you to write?

This is a huge question that almost feel impossible to answer but here goes! Ever since I was little I’ve been hell-bent on creating something. Be it music, art, writing, call it what you will I’ve been living a lifelong love affair with inspiration and trying to get it out of me. I feel as though inspiring intense emotion is the best thing I can do with my time so I try to create and experience that whenever I can. I started writing when I was in about grade two but was telling stories since the day I could talk. Novels have been in the mix for what would be decades now and I don’t think I could ever stop. 

My brother was helpful: he always wanted me to write him stories for the table top D&D game and it inspired my first fantasy epic (not on Wattpad ladies and gents!) He was, despite being a traidiontally mean-ass older brother, supportive of my story-telling and it gave me confidence to continue. In highschool my friends took on the mantle and now those long standing friends still cheer me on. People influence me and keep me writing. 

What is your favorite Genre?

I don’t know. I love high fantasy but find I can get lost in it too easily when writing. Right now the science fiction/supernatural is where I live with stories like Mad Wendigo (Link: http://www.wattpad.com/story/1094451-mad-wendigo ) about a zombie apocalypse or Something Blue (Link: http://www.wattpad.com/story/1041285-something-blue ) about the curse of Bluebeard. Any genre can be wonderful if it’s written well and that’s what I aim to do. 

What influences your stories? (pictures, music, etc.)

Mostly other works; the writing style of Something Blue is directly inspired by Bram Stokers Dracula. I like to pull influence from those who have done it right or throw out a little parody for those who have gone horribly wrong. Music is always playing when I write, I find it the best equalizer and often the music is instrumental. Photography can inspire images and scenes but other written works are the influence behind what I write. 

What is your advice for Wattpaders?

Never ever ever stop writing. If everyone pans what you’ve done pick back up and keep going. If you send it in to an editor and they shoot it down go back to the manuscript and make it better. A book is never done in my mind, never complete and can always use more. At a point you have to let it go but until your readers, be it an editor or your favorite fan, are satisfied you’re not done your job. Create beautiful images and lasting memories with your writing; people build their lives around what they read and use it to define who they are. Be something you and others can be proud of. 

What is your favorite Fruit?

RANDOM but I really like strawberries and cantaloupe. Together.