Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Hey, Daniella!" Michael shouts from the bedroom.

Oh shit oh shit oh shit! He knows!

I imagine him stomping down the hall with the little maroon box in his hand, demanding to know why my wedding ring is in Kiersten's engagement ring box. If he confronts me about it, I'll confront him about how his break up with Kiersten really went down.

I gulp and innocently shout back from the kitchen, "Yes, Michael?"

I see him making his way to me down the hall and I do my best to keep my cool.

"I have to slip away to New York tomorrow for a few days." He takes the seat across from me and slumps back, disappointment across his face.

I frown with him. This is the first time he's leaving town without me. But I'm a big girl. I better get used to this. "That's okay, Tab's here. Maybe she can stay over and we'll have an old fashioned slumber party." I wink at him and he smiles.

"Oh?" He sits up straight, a cheeky smile replacing his frown. "Better set up my nanny cams. Tell me, will there be naked pillow fights? Please say yes."

I punch him playfully in the arm. "We never have naked pillow fights!" I stand and start to walk away. I stop and turn my head back towards him, making my voice as seductive as possible. "We have wrestling matches instead."

Michael cocks his head and gives me a look. I start running towards the bedroom. He jumps up and chases me. I cry out with laughter as he wraps his long arms around me from behind, nuzzling his face into my neck.

"In that case, let me teach you a few moves." He growls into my ear playfully.

He spins me around to face him and pins my arms to my sides. A swift kick behind my feet sends both of us to the floor with him over me. He quickly places a hand behind my head before the impact.

I yelp with surprise and laugh as he straddles me, pinning my arms above my head.

He grins from ear to ear. "I win."

"You don't play fair."

He bends down and kisses me. "Yes I do."

Do you, really?

Suddenly I'm worried about him going to New York.

•••••

Tab and I frolic around London Saturday afternoon. Tab suggests we go to Red Crane later but I don't think I'll ever go back without Michael on my arm.

"Besides," I say, "I don't think we can get in without a member."

"Aren't you best friends with Carey Mulligan now, Daniella?"

"Tabitha," I stop in my tracks. "Are you actually jealous?"

She kicks at a pebble before her and smirks. "No. You should have friends other than me."

I place my arm around her and squeeze her. "No one can replace my Tab. Don't you worry about it."

My phone rings in my pocket and I pull it out to check the screen. It's Carey.

"Speak of the devil!" I show Tab the screen. "Do you mind if I take this?"

"Of course not. I'm gonna get us some gelato. Chocolate for you?"

I nod and turn to answer Carey's call. "Hello?"

"Hi Dani! It's Carey."

We exchange pleasantries as I sit on a bench out of the way of pedestrians.