Chapter Twenty-Five

I scan through the dresses on the rack before me. Michael is finally shooting today after several days of read-throughs. His hours are definitely long but I'm enjoying getting to know London on a more personal level. I feel like I'm starting to transition from tourist to local.

The baristas at the coffee shop I frequent all know me by name and they try speaking with a Chicago accent while I imitate theirs. Sometimes I end up sitting at a table in the back, just reading a book and people watching. Fiona, my favorite of the baristas, will occasionally sneak me a scone or a refill on the house.

Tonight, Michael has made plans for the two of us to have dinner. Since Tab isn't around, I don't have any decent dresses that could possibly live up to the standards of an evening out with Michael Fassbender. I know he doesn't care about my wardrobe, in fact, he prefers me with nothing on, if you know what I'm saying. But I want to find something really nice for this evening. It should be special since it's our first evening out as a real couple.

I pull a short backless royal blue lace dress off the rack and immediately it makes me think of the first night I joined Michael to Red Crane for the Masquerade. I'm so lost in thought that I don't even feel the tap on my shoulder or the voice speaking to me. I turn with the dress in hand and almost bump into Carey Mulligan.

"Oh! Carey, hi! Sorry, I didn't hear you," I laugh.

"I thought it was you, but I wasn't sure. Danielle? Right?" Carey is looking very casual today in black skinny jeans and a black silk blouse. Her hair is cropped short and tousled perfectly.

"Daniella, but please, just call me Dani," I politely correct her.

"Oh, that's right! You know, this is totally random, but I realized last week where I recognized you from. I was hanging out with my friend, Kiersten, and she mentioned her ex, Michael Fassbender and that's when it hit me, that I'd seen you with him in The London Dish! I knew I'd seen your face before."

Eh... she's friends with Kiersten?

I give a nervous chuckle. "Oh, really? Yeah, that was me," I look around for an escape.

I hold up my dress and excuse myself to try it on.

"Oh, I'll head to the fitting room with you, if you don't mind? I have some dresses to try on too."

Carey and I chat in our neighboring stalls while we each try on dresses. She's pretty funny and extremely charming. Easily best friend material.

The dress I pulled from the rack fits like a glove and I'm stunned by my reflection. I look incredible. I lift my hair and study my reflection, deciding I'll pin my hair back. Michael loves kissing my neck. I'll make it easy for him tonight.

"So what are you up to today? I finally have a week off from shoots and I'm meeting up with friends tonight at Red Crane. Fancy joining us?" Carey asks as I step out of the dress and place it back on the hanger.

"Oh, well, uh, Michael and I have plans but another time, definitely!"

"Oooh, so are the rumors true? Michael's a one-woman man now?"

I'm not really sure what to say. If she's close to Kiersten, surely she knows they were engaged? Hasn't he always been a one-woman man?

I chuckle, unsure and say, "I guess so."

I finish putting my clothes back on and step out of the stall with the dress. I'm definitely buying it and I can't wait to wear it for Michael.

Carey steps out with a few dresses draped across an arm. "Find a keeper?"