Chapter Thirteen

"Are you okay?" Michael pulls me into an alley with him once we are several blocks away from Red Crane. He places a gentle palm against my cheek and I'm touched by his concern.

"Me? Michael, you're bleeding!" His lip is split and he's worried about me.

"I'm fine, really." He licks his lip, blood smearing below his mouth.

I start to reach up to touch his lip but decide against it. "You're... here?"

"Got back this morning. I got your text and was going to surprise you. Ben mentioned you were going to Red Crane."

He laces his fingers with mine, blows at the feathers in my hair, and frowns at me. "But really, Dani, are you okay? I saw that arsehole grab you and I-I, I just lost it. I'm glad I made it to you before the other guy had the chance to hit you."

I swallow hard and smile. "You just called me Dani. You never call me Dani."

Michael grins and places his forehead against mine. He's breathing hard, high from adrenaline.

"You're okay?" His breath mixes with mine.

"I wish you were there sooner. They kept kissing me and touching me. I was trying to find Tab and Ben so we could leave, and then you showed up."

Michael stood up straight, his eyes full of fire. "They what? Did they do this?" He fingers the broken strap hanging off my shoulder. His voice is calm and it scares me.

"Forget them, Michael. You stopped them." I reach up and touch his face. He cups the back of my hand and holds it in place, leaning into my palm. "Thank you."

Taking my hand and bringing it to his lips, he kisses it, like he's done before. "I won't let anyone hurt you, Daniella."

"I know." I pull him down to me and press my lips against his.

Butterflies rise from the pit of my stomach and my heart feels like it will explode any second.

His kisses are so tender. We kiss slowly, unlike last time, testing each other out. I press a bit harder and he winces.

I pull back. "I'm so sorry!" I forgot about his cut and I'm not sure how since I could definitely taste it.

"It's fine. Don't stop," he continues kissing me, cupping both of his hands behind my head.

He leans into me until I'm against the wall. He's crouching down and kissing me with his entire body, not just his mouth.

Voices from the sidewalk put an end to our making-out. Michael places his hands on my hips and groans.

"We need privacy." He bends back down and kisses my jawline, just below my ear.

I'm flushing and I feel my skin prickle into gooseflesh. I moan and he kisses harder and nips at my neck.

"Let's go back to the hotel..." I whimper as he trails kisses from my collarbone up to behind my ear.

•••••

Michael and I walk through the automatic doors of the hotel and advance through the lobby. We keep stealing glances at each other, nearly unable to wait for the privacy my hotel room will provide for us before we can touch again.

We are nearly out of the lobby and in the corridor leading to my room when the desk clerk calls out to me.

"Oh, Mrs. Shea! Pardon me, Mrs. Shea. Your husband has been looking for you." The desk clerk scuttled up to me, looking worried.