Chapter Fifteen

I don't know what to do or where to go. I'm still in my sweat shorts and pajama tee. The sun is really beating down today and it's still early. I grab my back pack and sit under a tree.

I can't play any games on my phone because I forgot to charge it last night and I have less than half my battery power left. I hope Tab or Michael call me back soon.

I think about what I told Tab's voicemail over the phone. Am I really going to leave Ted? We've been together forever, it seems. But he's in love with someone else. I won't share him.

My phone startles me by buzzing steadily in my hands. I look at the screen and it's Ted.

"Yes?" I answer.

"Where are you?" He asks.

I pick at the grass on the ground before me. "I unlocked your phone and read your messages. I had to leave."

"Yeah, I figured that's what happened."

There's silence on both ends for longer than I'd like.

"Why did you come here, Ted?" I can feel the tears prickling under my eyes, wanting out.

"I thought I could fix us, Nell."

I lean against the tree trunk and sigh. "I don't want to do this anymore. It's crushing my spirit."

"No, don't. We just need to talk."

Call waiting chimes in and I check the screen. It's Michael.

"I have to go Ted. Go back home, okay?"

"What? Daniella, wait -" I end his call and answer Michael's.

"Michael?" I sit up straight, thankful for his welcome interruption.

"Hi. I saw you recently called, but, I didn't answer. Weird that it didn't register as a missed call."

I swallow hard. "Kiersten answered. She was supposed to tell you I called. I'm guessing she didn't."

"No, she didn't. I'm sorry. She must have forgot."

"I'm sure that's exactly what happened." Ugh. I hate the tone I'm using.

"I feel like I need to explain," he starts.

"No, no. It's not necessary, Michael."

"Where are you, Daniella?"

"I'm at the park by the hotel. I had to get away from Ted." I hug my back pack to my chest.

"I'll be there in ten minutes."

Before I can object, he hangs up.

People are starting to walk through the park. I get a couple of stares but I brush them off. I'm sure my hair is not as pretty as it was last night. I didn't even get a look at myself before I ran out of the hotel. I'm just glad I washed off my make-up before going to bed.

I sit back and people watch until I see Michael's car pull up to the curb in front of the park. Smith climbs out of the driver's seat and looks around. I stand and wave and he waves back. Michael steps out and watches as I walk toward him. He leans against the car with his arms crossed over his chest. He smiles as I approach.

"Hey you." He opens his arms and I step into them. He wraps them around me tightly and I relish in his firm and toned chest.

"Daniella?" He cups my chin and lifts my face to look at him.

"Hmm?"

He gives me a cheeky smile. "Are you wearing a bra?"

I immediately flush in embarrassment and smack his arm. "I didn't have time to put one on, okay?"