Chapter Twenty-Six

I shiver and open my eyes. The duvet is stuffed around me, but I'm still cold. I'm missing Michael's toasty body heat. I reach out to his side of the bed and rub my hand over where he should be. It's still a little warm, so he must have left not too long ago. I prop myself up on my elbow, spotting Mr. Fritz on Michael's pillow. I smile while yawning, charmed by the fact that Michael placed him there.

The faint rhythm of rain tapping on the windows encourages me to take a lazy day. I decide I'll lounge around and read. If it stops raining later, I'll do some reading up on the terrace.

Tab called last night, letting me know she's back in London, suddenly. Benedict had to be in San Diego and Tab hates California.

"I miss you and I desperately need some girl time. I'm crashing your party, whether you like it or not."

I laughed and told her she was welcome anytime. Truth is, I need some girl time too and I can't wait to see her.

I roll off the bed and stretch, groaning as my achy muscles object to the wake up call. I saunter into the bathroom and start up the shower. I lather up and take my time, enjoying the warmth of the water. When I finish, I dry off and wrap a towel around my torso and another around my head. I slip into a pair of denim shorts and let my towels drop. Shrugging into my navy blue sweatshirt, I pick up my hair brush on the dresser and begin combing my hair. With each stroke of my brush, I find my eyes nearing the top middle drawer, where I'd seen Kiersten's ring.

I look away and continue to brush my hair. I can feel the ring taunting me. In fact, I can hear it.

Look at me...

You know you want to...

Touch me...

Put me on...

Do it...

I slam my brush down and yank open the drawer. Yeah, I know, I thought I had more will power, too.

I push aside Michael's shirts and see the velvet box. I pop the top open and study the ring. I pull it out and put the box aside. It's all happening so fast, before I know it, my somewhat new little heart ring is on the dresser and Kiersten's ginormous diamond is on my finger. And it hurts. Damn, she has tiny fingers. Almost as soon as I shove it on, I try to pry it off. I'm in instant panic mode as it doesn't budge.

•••••

"Oh, Dani, what were you thinking?" Tab scolds me as she holds my poor beat up hand.

My ring finger is red and swollen. In a panic, I called Tab with my finger in my mouth, attempting to suck it off as Michael had done with my own ring. No luck.

"Please, spare me the lecture, Tab. Whatever you're going to say, I've already said it to myself." I'm on the verge of tears.

Tab huffs and says, "Well come on. There must be something in the kitchen that'll do the trick." She grabs my good hand and tugs me along with her.

I seat myself at the table and pull my sleeve up past my elbow. Tab opens up the cabinets, pulling out peanut butter, non-stick spray, and coconut oil.

"Surely one of these should do the trick." She plops in front of me and holds my hand up. Spraying on a generous amount of the non-stick spray, I cough as the mist floats towards my face.

Tab laughs and apologizes. She gets a good grip on the ring and tugs. I yelp as the ring stays put and Tab's hand slips right off of mine.

"Fuck," Tab curses under her breath. "I thought that would do it for sure. That thing is seriously stuck! If nothing can get between the band and your finger..." She gives me a look.