Chapter Twenty-Three

I sit back on the bench, take a sip from my water bottle, and watch with amusement as Michael does an assortment of different poses and jumps in front of the Cloud Gate, a monstrous sculpture shaped like a bean, in Millennium Park. It's a typical summer day and sweat drips between my shoulder blades even though I am only sitting. People passing by the photo shoot set up slow down and gawp as they realize who the photographer's subject is. The photographer keeps Michael talking and though I can't make out what he's saying, watching him speak so animatedly makes me smile. He's making the photographer smile too and I keep catching her looking back at me as she changes the settings on her camera.

When Michael's manager found out he'd slipped away from New York to Chicago, he made the most of it by booking a quick photo shoot, which Michael was more than happy to do as long as it meant I could accompany him.

The sun is low in the sky, casting a magical glow over Chicago, something the photographer called 'magic hour' making her all giddy with excitement.

"Just a few more and then I think we're good to go," she exclaims, moving around Michael with the camera glued to her eye.

She pauses for a moment and taps her foot, thinking. She turns to me and smiles, waving me over.

I glance around me, unsure she means me but she just nods and keeps waving me over. I stand and reluctantly make my way over.

"May I steal your water bottle?" She holds out her hand, not waiting for permission.

I hand it to her, thinking she's thirsty but she walks up closer to Michael. I see them chat for a few seconds and then Michael takes the bottle and dumps it over his head. The water soaks into his shirt immediately and he shakes his head violently, until his hair is a crazy, sexy mess.

Unf. Why.

I see my work here is done, so I make my way back to my spot on the bench and watch as Michael laughs and poses.

The photographer asks him to advance toward her while stripping his shirt off and he complies.

Good Lord.

The women and several men making their way around the bean stop in their tracks. It's hard to concentrate suddenly. All of Michael's attention is on the photographer and his animal magnetism is cranked all the way up. I'm feeling slightly jealous, but I know it's part of his job. He's only acting. I hope.

"Whew," the photographer lowers her camera and jokingly fans herself. "I'd say this is a successful shoot. Thank you so much, Michael."

Michael slithers back into his wet shirt and shakes hands with the photographer and her assistant. They chat for a few more minutes before finally, all of her equipment is packed up and they say their final goodbyes.

I stand and make my way to Michael and he walks toward me. We are cut off suddenly by a young woman.

"Sorry, Mr. Fassbender, I'm a huge fan!" She places a hand over her heart and she looks like she just might cry.

"Oh, wonderful!" Michael returns her smile and shakes her hand.

"Would you mind taking a picture with me? Please?"

"Not at all, love." Michael places an arm around her and lowers himself to be at her height. The fan raises her phone for a selfie and Michael's grin widens to that wonderful shark smile I've come to love.

The girl giggles, checking the photo on her phone and she reaches up to hug him. He gives her a squeeze and says, "Lovely to meet you!"

She dashes away to a group of friends waiting for her, speaking to each other in whispers.