Uniquely Ordinary

Prelude

(this part may seem a little boring, but please bare with me, I promise it gets better)

Secrets. Everyone has them. Such a simple word that surmises a complex notion of human behavior that is applicable to every person. What is their purpose? Why do we feel the need to hide things? It all seems pointless anyway because if you think about it, all secrets come out one way or another. Regardless, everyone holds onto the ambiguity for as long as possible.

I was no exception. I knew it was only a matter of time before everyone knew. It was not something I could easily hide, but I'd been perfecting the art of deception for most of my life. After all, I had more than one secret. Unlike most people however, I did not keep quiet because I was ashamed. I had no reason to be ashamed; they were both pieces that helped construct who I am. Pieces that I accepted long ago. I harbored no resentment for my situation; it was only thing I have ever known. At the same time, I refused to let it control any aspect of the way I lived.

Basic cognitive psychology indicates that repetitive behaviors and motions can elicit emotion and modes of thinking. For example, if an individual were to hold their facial muscles mimicking that of a smile by the way of holding a pencil between his or her teeth, eventually the mind is tricked into feeling happy. This concept can be applied to several other emotions. Consequently, I have applied this basic concept to my own life. If I faked a smile for a long enough time, I would eventually feel happy.

And it worked.

I have been displaying happiness for as long as I can remember. But upon internal reflection and an in-deep self-assessment, I have come to the conclusion that there is no reason for me not to be happy. There are many problems plaguing my life, but nothing I can't handle. It's been said that God never gives anyone more than that person will be able to handle. For me, I know this holds true. I always force myself to look for the silver lining. Thus far, I have succeeded. This does not make me a happy-go-lucky optimist. I see the pain of the world as well as the joys; I've learned to embrace both. It is the duty of the individual to not be marred into depression or to be blind to the pain, but to understand both and to enjoy life.

For what is a life to live if it is not enjoyable?