Chapter 4 | Slytherin House

Start from the beginning

Euphemia shuddered, she didn't imagine so either and the blonde Slytherin prefect nodded grimly at her in understanding.

"The password is Serpent for now, it does tend to change every fortnight but you will be able to see it as it will be posted on the notice board when it does change, do not use the wrong password or tell anyone who is not in Slytherin the password otherwise they will be able to enter and that would be a stupid move on your part and you could possibly be smothered to death by the entire house," the Prefect finished her spiel and let out a chuckle at all the scared faces that were staring up at her in the dimly lit corridor, illuminated to look rather green which made their faces look even funnier to the Prefect before she turned to stone wall and uttered the password, causing the wall to slide to one side.

Euphemia and Eileen exchanged glances before following the rest of the first years into the common room, looking around with slight awe on their faces.

Even Mia, who had been thinking resentfully that she would've been better off in Gryffindor, had to let her mouth fall open in interest and amazement.

The common room was a dungeon-like room with greenish lamps and chairs scattered about, with dark green leather sofas stretching across the wall.

From a simple look at the walls, Euphemia could see part of this dungeon like common room was under the lake, giving the light in the room a green tinge that made her shiver slightly.

The common room had lots of low backed black and dark green button-tufted leather sofas; skulls; and dark wood cupboards.

It was decorated with tapestries featuring the adventures of famous Medieval Slytherins. It had quite a grand atmosphere, but also quite a cold one as Euphemia found out.

"It's wonderful, isn't it?" came a breathy gasp into Euphemia's ear, making the poor girl jump a mile before she realised it was Walburga behind her and she let out a sigh of relief, completely forgetting what her cousin said.

That was until Walburga raised an eyebrow at her and Mia frantically nodded, still trying to catch her breath.

"Well come on then," Walburga said irritably, grabbing Euphemia tightly by the wrist, her nails digging into the other girl's arm and dragging her over to where the Slytherin prefect was directing the first years to their dormitories.

Mia beckoned for Eileen to follow, not wanting to lose the only ally she had here in Slytherin, where she was practically wallowing in loneliness and self pity.

Another dimly lit corridor led off from the common room, with doors labelled according to which year they belonged to.

Euphemia drew in yet another shaky breath before following the rest of the Slytherin first year girls.

The Slytherin girls dorms were much more appealing than the dungeons go Euphemia.

There were five four poster-beds which were covered in green eiderdowns with a nightstand next to it. Eileen pointed out that their school trunks had been brought down and were placed at the foot of each of their beds.

A wooden chair and dresser was near the bed and a wooden board was situated on either side of the bed for the students to decorate.

Euphemia noted that there was a complimentary book on everyone's nightstand and that a lamp was placed on each dresser.

The walls and floors were stone and there did not appear to be any windows. There was also a white pillow on the floor, a perch on their dresser, and a snuffbox on top of their trunk for their pets.

Even Mia, who was still skeptical and unsure about whether she truly desired being in Slytherin, was pretty pleased with the outcome of the room and began to get excited once again.