Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

Well, at least I would have someone to talk to.

Making my way towards the door, I slowly entered the vacant area and was about to call for Taehyung when I realized that there is no one over here.

Did that jerk just- Ugh of course he lied to me.

Swearing under my breath, I began walking closer to the balcony railings which overlooked the night scenery of Gangnam city before propping my elbows on it and letting out a deep sigh.

My eyes then marvelled over the beauty of the place as I stared into the dark empty space absent-mindedly.

Its funny actually, I realized, its funny how I used to be a homeless girl whose only problem was about money to this person today whose main concern was surviving college which turned out to be not as easy as I first expected.

Then there's also the elites and their little secret.

"When did my life start to become so complicated?"

"So you're talking to yourself now?"

I jumped at the sudden interruption before quickly composing myself, my body turning stiff automatically.

If Jungkook saw my discomfort, he probably decided to just ignore it because the guy just continued walking until he was a few feet behind me.

The only sounds present at the moment were our slow breathings accompanied by the faint buzzing from the city's busy streets.

Deciding that I can't stand the quiet any longer, I decided to open my mouth, "What are you doing here?"

"Why? Can't I be here?", he countered before stepping closer towards me, the heat from his body radiating onto my back.

I had to fight back a shudder.

"No, but shouldn't you be engaging with everyone else in the ballroom?"

"Shouldn't you be doing the same too?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at that, "Stop answering my questions with questions."

"Then stop asking them.", he simply shot back.

Seriously?

I let out a sigh as I realized that there's no way I could have a proper conversation with this guy, "I'll just go now."

"No, wait."

As if on command, my body immediately stopped from turning around when I heard his feet shuffling closer.

One minute passed before I finally noticed the outline of his body on my right, the moonlight doing him no justice as his face stays concealed in the dark.

"I just... I needed some air.", he finally said after a few beats of silence.

I nodded at him absently, "Being under the spotlight must be suffocating, huh?"

When he didn't answer, I decided to bring up about something.

"Your girlfriend is very pretty."

Silence.

And then I heard him did a slow exhale, "Thanks."

One word.

Its just one word but why do my chest hurts so much?

Clutching the railing tightly, I tried my best to stop the pain from spreading away as I mustered a smile even though I know he couldn't see it.

"You're welcome.", I muttered as I realized that I probably should quickly change the subject.