XXXIV {Rotten Family}

{Courtney's POV}

There she stands, right in front of me.

The girl that hated me.

The girl that bullied me.

The girl that made me believe my best friend did something wrong.

Now broken and in tears.

And here I am, facing her.

My heart starts to beat faster, as it pumps my blood everywhere in my body. My breath is getting uneven and I start to breath faster and faster. My legs feel weak, like I can fall any minute onto the cold, hard ground.

"Diana, what for nonsense are you talking!?", Matt says confused.

"NONSENSE!? YOU WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH PEOPLE!?", she tugs her out of the people and stands on a broken, wooden box next to the locker, "DICE'S FATHER IS AN ALCOHOLIC. WE COULD HAVE KNOWN IT, BUT OKAY, EVERYONE GOT THEIR OWN HOBBY'S..."

I hear them all muttering stuff and Shawn looks sympathetic at me.

"SO HER DAD WAS DRUNK, AGAIN, AND A CAFÉ OWNER KICKED HIM OUT. MY BROTHER, THE SWEETHEART THAT HE WAS, WANTED TO HELP HIM CAUSE HE WAS BLEEDING. BUT OF COURSE, IT'S A DICE, SO WHAT DOES HE DO?"

"No... Don't...", I try to say, but it comes out of my mouth softer than whispering.

"HE TOOK A KNIFE AND... AND...", tears forming again in her eyes, "he killed him."

"Okay that's enough!", Shawn says angry, but Diana interrupts him. "NO, THAT'S NOT ENOUGH! JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE MADLY IN LOVE WITH HER, DOESN'T MEAN THAT I CAN'T TELL THE PEOPLE WHAT HER FATHER HAS DONE TO-"

"OKAY, HER FATHER MADE A MISTAKE! A BIG ONE! BUT DOES THAT MEAN THAT SHE ALSO MADE A MISTAKE!?"

"IT'S JUST A ROTTEN FAMILY! DON'T YOU SEE THAT!? SHE WEARS THE SAME JEANS FOR MONTHS, I'VE ONLY SEEN HER IN 5 DIFFERENT T-SHIRTS..."

"JUST BECAUSE SHE ISN'T A SPOILED BRAT LIKE YOU, DOES NOT MEAN THAT SHE IS BAD-"

"HER FATHER HAS NO JOB, AND HAVE YOU EVER SEEN HER MOTHER!? I BET SHE JUST LEFT BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T WANT SUCH A IDIOT AS HER MAN AND SUCH A WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT AS HER DAUGHTER!"

Everyone stares at me and there is a silence.

"What's the matter Dice?", and she walks towards me, "Don't you like it that the people now know the truth about you and your family?"

I don't answer her and only look to the ground. If I just can use some magic and dissapparate to somewhere else, or just can sink in to the ground and pretend that I do not exist.

"That's what I thought", she says with disgust and she walks away on her way to high pumps.

At the moment she walks away, the bell starts to ring for third period. Everyone leaves towards their classes, but I can't move my feet. It's like they are glued to the floor.

Out of nowhere I feel someone grabbing my hand. An other hand pulls my chin up so I can see him. He looks with pity at me and pulls me into a hug. I can't hold it anymore and start to cry in his chest.

"Everything that happened," I mumble in his chest, "I tried to stay strong, but I just can't... I..I'm only 16 you know! I-" He pulls me in a tighter hug and start to caress my hair.

"Shhh... Calm down, okay? It will be alright... She doesn't know what she's talking about and it's not your fault. You understand me?" He looks me straight in the eyes.

I move my head only a little bit, so he understands that I nod yes.

"Good...", and he looks around the now empty hallway, "I'll talk to Mrs. Tipton and ask if I can bring you home, cause you can forget it that I'll let you alone with that bitch around."

I turn my head left and right, as a sign of no. He looks annoyed at me and picks me up bridal style.

"SHAWN! Your hand! Be careful!", I try to yell but it's more like a loud whisper.

"Oh come on, I'm fine, and don't tell me that you could focus in the next lessons. It's better for your health to take a break", he says as he carefully drops me before the office of the principal. "Just wait for one second...", he whispers as he knocks on the door.

"Inside", a high female voice yells from inside and he walks in her office. Not much later he leaves it and picks me up again.

"So I explained what happened," he explains while walking towards his cabriolet, "and she already knew some stuff from the police, but she also said that it was ridiculous of you to come to school after a thing like that happened. So she supports you and said that it was okay, but next Monday you'll have to join classes again because you're the best student they have here." He laughs at that last part.

How is it possible that even after so much shit, his laugh can make my day again?

He carefully puts me in the passenger seat and he takes a seat at the driver seat.

"So what do you want to do?", he asks as he sets the mirrors right.

"I don't know...", I say my voice still cracky, "You can drop me at home so I can cry and eat my feelings away", and I look hopefully at him, even though I know he'll use every opportunity to skip school.

"I'm not leaving you-", what did I say?, "-No, give me an other idea... I know it!", and he starts his car.

He puts the aux chord in his phone and gives it to me, "You can choose what song." I randomly click on a song and "Lego House" by Ed Sheeran starts to play.

He hears the first tones and turn the volumes at it's loudest. We both sing - he more yells but okay - the lyrics but I stop halfway through the song because I don't know it further. Oops.

After a few songs he parks his car and I look around. Of course, I could have expect it.

"Come on", and he takes my hand and drags me to the entrance of the icerink.

"Just a few minutes, it's fun!"

"It's not fun, I suck at it!"

"No! You're really okay for a beginner!"

"Mmmh fine", I say and he starts to smile really bright.

"Come on, let's gooooo!", he says happy and I just follow him.

A/n: okay looking back at it, it's a pretty short chapter. Side note: also I've watched Ant-Man and the Wasp for a second time (first time a bad version online and later in the cinema) and i'm sTILL SHOOK LIKE THAT MID CREDIT SCENE. THAT WAS NOT OKAY. WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT TO MY HEART.